Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theme Editor and Line-Endings
The GS Theme Editor does something wrong with line endings.

After a file has been edited on the web server through GS I am getting extra spaces, sometimes a whole file double spaced. If I go through it deleting the extra lines (and presumably deleting the wrong EOL symbols) then when I upload it again the whole file is on one line.

Surely I am not the only one to have experienced this? Attached is how my test file looks before and after editing with EOL symbols showing. When I open linetest02 I see that EOL conversion is now set to Mac format

You should use linux line endings if you are uploading to a linux server.
Also how are you transferring the files ? Ftp ascii ?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
ftp filezilla defaults which I think is auto recognise or something.

There isn't a quick solution to this I know. It's by way of a bug report.
Well its not really a bug, your using the wrong line endings.
Usually you can have your ftp convert line endings if it is indeed interpreting css as ascii.

You did not mention which GS version either.
I get the same result if I use unix line endings. I think it's unlikely that filezilla is messing it up. A good text editor should handle different line endings without messing up a file,so in that sense it's a bug.

3.2, but it was the same in 3.1. I just learned never to edit on the fly... then I forgot it.
I have never had this problem. Anyone else report this ?
(2013-03-26, 05:14:10)shawn_a Wrote: I have never had this problem. Anyone else report this ?
Yeah, that is an odd thing. There was one post only here during the last year from a newbie saying 'Great CMS, except for the way it adds blank lines' . I can't find it now.
That would be ckeditor, it adds blank lines when iserting block elements.