Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiki ReModel Stage One Complete
http://get-simple.info/wiki/

I have put in place the new GS Wiki Start Page. So Far very little material has been deleted and very little new material added. The task has been to establish a structure to make a useful and easily navigated Handbook or User Guide.

Pages are now arranged in 'user-level' groups of Quick Start, User Level pages, and Developer Level pages.

Almost all the pages appear in the Start page. You don't have to drill down through pages of links to sub-pages to find the info you need.

The Page Links should be the same as the page Titles and should reflect the page content. (Obvious, but it wasn't always the case).

The Pages for the Backend reflect the Tabs and Controls in the Backend

There is plenty more to do. I am going to edit and rewrite the content more now. There are holes in the coverage like a Quick Start Guide, Press Information, or a page like this:
http://get-simple.info/wiki/how_to:theme_editor

I would welcome help and contributions. It's a Wiki.

Not sure what to do with images. I guess I could host them myself, or upload them to photobucket or something but it might be better to put them on shovehost.

It would be good to have a search plugin too.
(2013-03-28, 20:26:59)Timbow Wrote: http://get-simple.info/wiki/

I have put in place the new GS Wiki Start Page. So Far very little material has been deleted and very little new material added. The task has been to establish a structure to make a useful and easily navigated Handbook or User Guide.

Not sure what to do with images. I guess I could host them myself, or upload them to photobucket or something but it might be better to put them on shovehost.

Looks great - much better than before!

P.S.: The wiki supports the Upload of images using the Image-Button and then Upload.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Looking good - never really liked that table layout to be honest...
My Github Repos: Github
Yes, please put the images on here. All images on this site are delivered by a global CDN anyway so it will have the best performance.

But anyway, I really really like the new home page, makes information much more accessible.
Looks good, we might need to fix up that stylesheet one day.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Thanks. Re the images - I was being stoopid. I can upload them, don't know why I thought I couldn't . Who was it that knew how to stop the wiki software from stripping out backslashes when it saves because it is doing it again. The old TOC has lost its line endings.
Timbow,

thanks for your work. I was just checking "my" section, the CKEDITOR
Although you say, you separated the stuff into different "levels" (what is a good idea), this is not visible in the moment

If you continue with that it would be good to have a "level-breadcrumb-navigation" (call it whatever) on top.

And if you start from the "beginners level" (let's say you go to WYSIWYG-Editor) there must be a navigation to the rest of the info, otherwise that content is lost because nobody will findd that. I jumped to "WYSIWYG-Editor" and did not identify the different levels before that jump, so I feared all the content and info was lost...

also the TOC on second level pages is absolutely bad positioned and ugly styled. (Just for the Todo-List for the next steps... the TOC should sit at the right side in a box... it is disturbing at the left side...)

these are my first ideas which I got ... thanks for your work and contribution and Happy Easter!
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Connie, You are right that links from page to page need to be looked at and put in place consistently.

I know you won't be shy about changing what I have done and I would welcome it. It's a wiki.

The auto-generated ToC at the head of every page and the position of the trace/breadcrumbs - I can't change that. I don't have access to the wiki at that level or any know-how. A search plugin would be good too.
These are called backlinks, they can be automaitcally added to a sidebar or bottom of everypage, also a toc can be added to every page.
Not backlinks, we are talking links out. there should be on each page links like
  1. Link back to the Main Index
  2. Links to other pages in this section
  3. Links to other pages not in this section where you might go next
But they can't be auto generated unless the pages are tagged with keywords or categorised beforehand.

The auto ToC which appears at the top of every page and which Connie rightly pointed out is poorly positioned, lists the headings used within the page itself, it isn't a ToC for the Wiki.
You can accomplish this with backlinks, by making each page that is related link to each other, then show backlinks shows other pages in the same "category" without actually using categories.

backlinks show all pages that link to the current page.

granted it is not elegant.