Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Resolved] Redirecting to new pages
Question 
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I didn't find a relevant answer when I searched. Admittedly it IS quite late here, so I may have missed some.

Edit: I should add that I have gone through this thread but still can not make sense of how to achieve what I'm trying to do.

I need to redirect a handful of old pages (from a client's old WordPress install) cached in Google to their new pages in GetSimple. For example, their old /menu page is now /eat.

I tried using "Redirect 301 /menu http://www.domain.com/eat" in the .htaccess file, but that just resulted in the URL being returned as "http://www.domain.com/eat/?id=menu"

I think I have to implement a RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} type of thing, but can't quite get my head around it. Hope you can help!

Thanks.
I haven't used it but the URI Redirect plugin should do the trick.
Modern UI Admin for GetSimple
Watch the demo. Install this plugin. Use this CSS. Enjoy.
(2013-03-29, 10:36:52)sal Wrote: I haven't used it but the URI Redirect plugin should do the trick.

Thanks for your reply, but I'd prefer a solution that's limited to the .htaccess rather than a plugin - mainly because it's a site for another person and I don't want them to have to worry about plugins down the track.

Also, it'd be handy knowledge to have for my own development too. Smile

Thanks again though.

Okay, so fresh eyes after a good night's sleep seem to have helped. For those still confused, the answer was here all along.

Here's an excerpt of that post - with the solution I was missing made much more obvious:
(2011-03-16, 22:57:30)ccagle8 Wrote: I had the same problem when I made some redirects on get-simple.info pointing the old docs to the new wiki. Here is what my .htaccess file looks like. Pay attention to the placement of things.

Where I was putting the RewriteRule is why mine wasn't working - once I inserted it after RewriteBase / and before RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f everything started working correctly.

Problem solved, thanks to ccagle8 and a good night's sleep. Smile