Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GetSimple 3.2.1 Released
Information 
http://get-simple.info/download
http://get-simple.info/start/changelog
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Please consider adding dates of release in changelog.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Hi Shawn,

Just upgraded my (personal) site to 3.2.1, and noticed the menu isn't being generated anymore. I have a customized bootstrap (luca) theme running, but that is not the issue as no menu items are in both standard themes either. In all cases, "<?php get_navigation(return_page_slug()); ?>", is being used in the template, which is not giving any output.
What do you think, an issue with my site, or an issue with 3.2.1?

thx,
Frank

(2013-04-26, 07:30:23)shawn_a Wrote: http://get-simple.info/download
http://get-simple.info/start/changelog
hmm this was not reported nor can I reproduce it.

Did you perhaps reinstall your site from scratch or did you upgrade over the other install ?
If you added your pages in afterwards, Please visit the pages pages and see if this is a cache generation issue. It seems the cache is not generating on front end for manually added pages.

Other than that I have no idea, can anyone else reproduce this ?
Working on it... also thought it was a caching issue. But still not sure. when using the i18n navigation it does work. Let you know when / if i found something.

Mmm, no caching does it seem to be the issue here.
Using SimpleCache, switched it off, still the same. added a new sample page, looked at the menu manager. All four pages (simple and small site :-)) are there, changed some ordering. Still nothing in the menu.
When looking in the generated pare source, there is not a single character between the used nav div.
Any clue on what else to look at?
Will switch to i18n for the moment, if no other users have this issue, lets drop it, probably something weird local issue....
Thx & regards,
Frank
Did you turn debug mode on and look for errors ?
I am not referring to a plugin, the internal page cache is where menu information is pulled from.
pages.xml
Just tried this, but only one error (in my own plugin :-(, so that something I have to fix.). But nor other errors. Also deleted all files with the cache directory, no effect.
Theoretically nothing should break , we try not to unless its a major release.
So if you have a plugin that suddenly breaks it could be indicative of another issue, please report it anyway.

debug shows no errors where the menu should be ?
error log is empty?
Shawn,
The plugin is something I have to fix myself, have to have a look anyway, no problem.
About the menu, nope: debug shows nothing.
But we can also leave it this as it is now, its working with i18n now, and I am sure it is something in my setup somewhere, because I also tried to install a clean copy in a subdir, and there everything worked fine.
Maybe some strange things in the few pages I have...
What I might do as test, is delete all current pages, and putting them back one by one from a backup.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far, and don't worry, not too big issue. (unless others get the same thing)

regards,
Frank
strange that you get no errors, maybe your install was incomplete.
I've noticed there are a couple new strings in the language file that were not in 3.2.0

Code:
"PAGE_UNSAVED" => "Page has unsaved changes",
"PLUGIN_DISABLED" => "Disabled Plugin",
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpl...ate=closed
There have been some reports of menus disappearing on upgrade, I am assuming it is a plugin conflict of sorts or perhaps old page files with different menu data being choked on now, either way I cannot reproduce with any of my test sites, nor do I have any further detailed information on the cause.

Also there seems to be an issue on locked down servers, api checks use curl then fallback to file_get_contents, its possible these errors are confusing or curl is failing when it should not be.

Looking for more information on how to reproduce these issues.
Shawn,

we have the impression that you did not include the CKEditor-modifications / corrections which were discussed and fixed lately in "Stable patched to ckeditor to 4.1", problems which were fixed are there again, I was told
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
Hmm I merged stable into that branch yesterday ill check it later.
Looks fine to me. Ill need more info in that thread. Not sure who we is, only marcco really posted anything.
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=4614

But cke patched matches stable, maybe someone checked it before I merged them.
Seems something has gone terribly wrong with the current Edit of 3.2.1
the data Folder contains no pages folder or index page.
Installation impossible (upgrade seems possible though)

Must have happened just a few days ago
They all get created on install, there in a temp folder initially.
My Github Repos: Github
So this is a new install, and it works, but no errors, and no files in data ?
You will have to explain more, if something like that fails the installer is supposed to throw a fit.
(2013-05-25, 00:24:09)n00dles101 Wrote: They all get created on install, there in a temp folder initially.
I see - seems i didnt get the memo
(2013-05-25, 01:36:49)shawn_a Wrote: So this is a new install, and it works, but no errors, and no files in data ?
You will have to explain more, if something like that fails the installer is supposed to throw a fit.
Meanwhile I solved the issue. But i'll explain what happened anyway.
I dropped all files from the install-zip into a new Folder var/www/test
looked at 127.127.127.1/testin my browser and received the internal server error 500
So what i did is putting an echo 'hello'; in the index.php file to see exactly where the error occurs.
It occurs between line 48 and 56 which must mean there is no index.xml file
That was yesterday.
after reading noodles post i came to the conclusion, that there might be a userright problem.
I tried to install GS321 on an identical Ubuntu 12.04LTS system and everything worked fine.
so I compared userrights of the folders (ls -l) and there we go!

the admin folder on the working system had "drwxrwxr-x"
while the admin folder on the faulty system didnt even have the right to call a lawyer
-----
what I cant recall is if just pulled the files from the archive manager to the installfolder or if I unzipped the files first.
In both Cases I didnt chmod or chown anything and I believe the archive manager had the same non-root userrights.
----
So Heres my final question: what is the best practice for chowning and chmodding the folders within the installation, when I (can) have full root access on the server?
A 500 error means a fatal include or syntax error in php or htaccess, not just a normal php error.
So I doubt it was that.

Always turn php debugging on and check log files when having issues like that. You should get a definite log of whats wrong in either php log or apache error.log
(2013-05-25, 23:19:38)shawn_a Wrote: A 500 error means a fatal include or syntax error in php or htaccess, not just a normal php error.
So I doubt it was that.

Always turn php debugging on and check log files when having issues like that. You should get a definite log of whats wrong in either php log or apache error.log

Yep, checked the errorlogs now.
indeed the scripts within admin had no right to include anything.
mkdir() didnt work due to userright problems
copy() didnt work due to missing directories
and so on...

So it is a userright problem.

-Now i m just wondering why there is trouble on one system and no trouble on the other almost identical computer....

And for safety reason I m wondering which rights the files within admin should have when this kind of trouble occurs.

I downloaded the zip a million times allways the same result,..
Well included are from admin and inc, so they mut have been completely unreadable by php. Which would indicate that the php user is not the same as the file owner.
Added dates to changelog as requested
My menu also disappeared. I'm using get_navigation(return_page_slug()); but it doesn't return anything. I already renewed my pages.xml. Would using the i18n plugin quickfix this?

Edit: works with i18n