Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with directory permission after moving site
Hi All,

I developed GS site in local environment, after moving to real shared hosting in GS health check site can see in:
Directory Permissions

File Name: /data/other/plugins.xml 0640 Not Writable - Error!
/data/pages/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/data/other/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/data/other/logs/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/data/thumbs/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/data/uploads/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/data/users/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/data/cache/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/backups/zip/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/backups/pages/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/backups/other/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!
/backups/users/ 0750 Not Writable - Error!

In wiki about GS installation is written:
"If you developed your site in a local GetSimple installation but later want to publish it in the Web, you must know that it's not only uploading all files to the public server. It is recommended to do a new GetSimple install (the process will set the necessary file permissions), and then uploading your data, theme, plugins, etc."
but nowhere is information how correct permission should be. I can see some threats on our forum about this subject but no one is complete. If health-check.php scrip know what correct permission should be why it is not writing next to error what should be?
Can anyone write list of folders and correct permission? I know it is dependent on server configuration but if not list of exact permission maybe information about every rights needed for every folders in GS.
I'm sure it will be highly appreciate by many users not only me :-)

Best wishes
ArekS
Listed directories should have 755 rights, files inside 644.
Those are default permissions.

ps. did you move the files through FTP with specific app setting, which creates directories with 750 rights ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
(2013-05-27, 18:21:23)yojoe Wrote: Listed directories should have 755 rights, files inside 644.
Those are default permissions.

ps. did you move the files through FTP with specific app setting, which creates directories with 750 rights ?
Thank you. I changed and all is ok, but I'm wondering why I can edit pages using GS backend even with permission set to 0750.
Can you write me what permission should be for other files and directories?

P.S. No, I just copied all files from my MAC using Transmit 4 FTP client with regular settings.
arek1,

you can always see what is wrong and what is ok if you do the server health check!
Log in in the backend and go to support => Website Health Check => Directory Permissions at the bottom of the list

check what is written there!
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
connie didn't read the first post apparently.

It depends on your system, and what user php runs as. Sometimes it is not the same as ftp user and cannot work on the files you uploaded. In your case, 750 works fine, because these files are user or group, not other.

Other is typically, files served to the web, not through php etc. Say uploads.

There is alot to unix file perms, but yojoe already answered your main question.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2013-05-27, 23:33:22)shawn_a Wrote: There is alot to unix file perms, but yojoe already answered your main question.

Thank you, but in meantime I made little investigation. Have checked my three installation of GS on different servers and (one of them is from the very beginning on server, not developed locally and copied by FTP):
  • every files in admin folder are 755 in all my installations
  • every files in theme folder are 755 in all my installations
  • all files in root folder of my installations are 755, even gsconfig.php
Is it correct and safe?
health-check.php file show all OK.

Please forgive me my detailed questions but going to start using GS in my everyday work and need to "master" this CMS deeply.
well sounds like you need to read about unix file permissions actually, as it has nothing to do with GS.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2013-05-28, 00:46:35)shawn_a Wrote: well sounds like you need to read about unix file permissions actually, as it has nothing to do with GS.
Thank you. I made my homework :-)
Now is much clearer.