Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliable CMS & Plugin Updater
One of the biggest draw backs for me about GetSimple and the only reason I keep searching for alternative flat file databases is the fact that you can't reliably update to new versions of the CMS or it's plugins through the admin area.

I specialize in designing sites that small businesses can control and manage on their own and they normally do pretty well if they don't have to leave the admin area. But start explaining ftp clients and directoreis to them and their eyes glaze over.

I've tried Extend Download and Updater and they work sometimes, but not on the most important plugins i use all the time... specifically the i18n collection.

I of course have other wishes, but, that is the only deal breaker for me right now.

P.S. I still love GetSimple for my own sites, but right now the biggest competition you have for my client sites is gpEasy, if you haven't checked it out. I'm not a big fan of inline editing in general but my clients seem to like it, and you don't have to open an ftp client and mess with directories to update the site and plugins!
(2013-06-28, 01:16:48)Dominic Wrote: One of the biggest draw backs for me about GetSimple and the only reason I keep searching for alternative flat file databases is the fact that you can't reliably update to new versions of the CMS or it's plugins through the admin area.

I specialize in designing sites that small businesses can control and manage on their own and they normally do pretty well if they don't have to leave the admin area. But start explaining ftp clients and directoreis to them and their eyes glaze over.

I've tried Extend Download and Updater and they work sometimes, but not on the most important plugins i use all the time... specifically the i18n collection.

I of course have other wishes, but, that is the only deal breaker for me right now.

P.S. I still love GetSimple for my own sites, but right now the biggest competition you have for my client sites is gpEasy, if you haven't checked it out. I'm not a big fan of inline editing in general but my clients seem to like it, and you don't have to open an ftp client and mess with directories to update the site and plugins!

Or you can also do what we do: offer people the option of a reasonably priced, yearly renewable, technical support contract to keep both CMS and plugins up to date.

That gives people the choice to either go with that, have you do it later on an ad hoc basis (more expensive), or do it themselves.

Towards the client you have done the responsible thing: you've informed them of all the options and given them the choice. If they opt to do it themselves then it is their responsibility.

Plus at the same time you've opened up another stream of income for yourself.

Having said that, an automatic updating option would of course be nice.
I use updater it works fine.
I18n plugins are broken if they do not update. Not the updaters fault.

Did you read this ?
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...2#pid36052
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix