Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What programs do you use to development?
Ok,

I just saw Chris talk about using UltraEdit. I've never heard of the program before, and I've always used Notepad++. I'm curious what everyone uses and why.

I use:
- Notepad++ for all text related development, however, I would love to use something to make typical tag completion and form inputs less work.
- WAMP - localhost server
- Photoshop CS3 for graphics
- Filezilla FTP - Works with no issues, I just get tired of upgrading every other week.
- Google Chrome's internal webpage inspection utility. (Once I got the hang of it, I love it more than Firebug)
- Putty - for those good o'l SSH commands
- And I've recently found IETester that shows the page rendered in 6, 7, and 8 in one window.

I'm particularly curious on the choice of your PHP IDE's.
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

Have you ever coded in your underwear before?
Mac:
Espresso for coding (big recommendation),
MAMP for local testing,
Cyberduck for FTP,
Firebug for debugging.

Windows:
Notepad++ for quick code edits,
WAMP for local testing,
Filezilla for FTP (sharing internet54’s problem),
Firebug for debugging,
TortoiseSVN for GetSimple SVN.

I prefer working on my Mac, my PC seems to be dying and I’m currently in no position to buy a new one Sad
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
use Notepad++ for quick edits.
Aptana Studio for everything else, built in ftp/sftp, with SVN and SQL add-in.
Xampp - local server
Navicat for mySql
firebug/chrome - debugging

mike...
My Github Repos: Github
Mac:
Editor
TextMate (there is a clone for Windows http://www.e-texteditor.com/ watch the screencast!),
TextWrangler for quick edits

PHP Module from Marc Liyanage http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/ for local testing
Cyberduck for FTP, swizz made!
Firebug

Windows(only for testing):
Notepad++
Total Commander for FTP ( http://www.ghisler.com/ ) Old School, Norton Commander Style, swizz made Wink , i love it
Firebug
Virtual Box and the offical Microsoft VPC Images for IE Testing
Picasa (there is no Version for my G5 iMac), it is very easy to use for my clients. I prefer Adobe Lightroom on Mac and Windows.
Mac only development:

Coding:
Espresso & Textmate
VirtualhostX for Vhost creation
Photoshop CS4
Firebug
Ant

Concept:
Keynote
Omnigraffle
Axure
Mindmanager

Pen and Paper:
Moleskin A4 - Blank
COPIC SKETCH's which are simple awesome for concept work (a combination of yellow and grey tones are great for starters)
eding 1800 profipen 0.1 You cant get any slimmer than this
I use both Mac and PC.

Mac Coding:
Adobe Dreamweaver CS4
Firebug
Mozilla Firefox
Mac Design:
Adobe PhotoShop CS4
Adobe Illustrator CS4
Adobe FireWorks CS4

PC Coding:
Adobe Dreamweaver CS4
Notepad
Firebug
Mozilla Firefox
PC Design:
Adobe PhotoShop CS4
Adobe Illustrator CS4
Adobe FireWorks CS4
Adobe Indesign CS4

I absolutely love using Dreamweaver, its ease of use and so many capabilities make it in my opinion the
best option for serious coding. But yes it does come at a price.

I have to look into some of your guys software.

Oh and for Concept I use:
Key Note
Pages
Numbers
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft Access
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
Concept:
Pen and Paper,
Outliner, Instaviz, Palettes Pro(iPod Touch)
http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Design/Concepts:-
Photoshop CS3
Expression Design 3
Expression Blend (sketchflow .. awesome for wire-frame concepts)
Paint.Net
GIMP

Coding:-
Notepad2 -- http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
Expression Web 3 (gui stuff)
Visual Studio 2008 Pro (asp.net / Sharepoint stuff)
Firebug + Web Dev toolbar (firefox)
Tortoise SVN

XAMMP - Dev environment
Expression Web SuperPreview
Filezilla FTP
Not really a developer, but what the hey...

(Mac only environment)

Concepts:
Pen and paper
Scribbles (I just love this little app)
Adobe Illustrator

Realisation (Design/Coding):
Coda (it's got everything the <body> needs...)
Photoshop
Transmit (when FTPing is all that's needed)
MAMP localhost
Good music
There's nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat.
I use a combination of:

Notepad, Zend Studio, Dreamweaver for coding.
Illustrator, PhotoShop and Balsamiq Mockups for Design and Concept.
- Julian

My GetSimple Plugins: Simple Image Gallery | TweetMeme reTweet Button
What is up with all the Mac developers? I keep telling myself that it's ok to feel left out, yet again I believe that Mac's are just a fad. It's like Jnco jeans and Starter Jackets. Big Grin
Clients always want to be able to change the content of their pages, but they are unwilling to do so.

@internet54, I used to believe the same thing. Then I got a hold of a couple new macs and now I won't go back.

I just love the simplicity, and ease of use. The only thing I miss is software support and pricing. On a mac everything
is more expensive, and less supported. (This is getting much better as time goes by)

I would highly recommend acquiring a mac so that you could play with it and mess with it, I really believe you will never
go back to a pc. (I use both, but I would choose a mac over a pc when purchasing a computer)
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
^ I believe that people believe the hype more and it's primarily the brain say "Yes Yes Yes" more than anything else. I don't see what a Mac can do that a PC can't do. Now, I'm not a PC fanatic, but lets all be real here. We use the SAME PROGRAMS, just on different platforms. Copy and Paste, Save As, Command/Ctrl all do the same thing. What is the benefit of using Photoshop on Mac over PC? What is the benefit of using Transmit over Filezilla?

At my old job I worked on a Mac so the tools I used there were -
  • Coda
  • Adobe Fireworks CS4
  • VMware Fusion (for IE6/8)
  • Serverskine
  • Google Chrome

However since a few months ago I've gone out on my own so it's primarily Windows now -
  • Dreamweaver CS4
  • Fireworks CS4
  • Google Chrome
  • Internet Explorer 8 (browser testing)

On Windows I used to be fine hand-coding primarily in Notepad2 for the odd bits and pieces I did but since I've been freelancing it didn't really cut it. In the last few months I've tried tons of text editors including Notepad2, e (for which I bought I license but now never use), Notepad++ and PSPad.

I'm now using Dreamweaver and I like it more and more every day. The code hints make life SO much easier and project management helps a ton too. Pro tip: Grab dark code view and zen-coding for Dreamweaver.
Modern UI Admin for GetSimple
Watch the demo. Install this plugin. Use this CSS. Enjoy.
Not to start a MAC-WIN discussion here..but my reason for using MAC is simple - The OS gets out of my way when I dont need it...less complexity where I dont need it, and the right amount of complexity where I want it...

nutting's perfect..but for me personally..I believe I chose the lesser evil. Wink
internet54 Wrote:^ I believe that people believe the hype more and it's primarily the brain say "Yes Yes Yes" more than anything else. I don't see what a Mac can do that a PC can't do. Now, I'm not a PC fanatic, but lets all be real here. We use the SAME PROGRAMS, just on different platforms. Copy and Paste, Save As, Command/Ctrl all do the same thing. What is the benefit of using Photoshop on Mac over PC? What is the benefit of using Transmit over Filezilla?

I don't get the question. If you prefer Windows, use a Windows machine. If you like Linux better, go with that. I've worked with Windows boxes and Mac boxes. When I had the opportunity to choose, I chose Mac because it feels more right *to me*.
According to hype, black is a cooler colour than white. So, we should all wear nothing but black? Tongue

Ignore hype. Only you can decide what feels right for you.
There's nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat.
Coding: Komodo Edit
XAMPP: local server
Photoshop CS4
Programmer's Notepad 2 (www.pnotepad.org) - tried Notepad++, but prefer PN2. Text Clips, autocomplete and auto-closing tags handy. It can be extended via Python scripting as well.

NetBeans for more in depth PHP development.

XAMPP for testing PHP.
-- Sam
  • Notepad++ for general coding. The only replacements I can think of are OSX-exclusive (read Coda & Smultron)
  • FileZilla, however without beeing troubled by updates
  • Photoshop CS4
  • Illustrator CS4
  • WAMP
  • Chrome with the Web Dev and IE-tab plugins
  • iTunes and Spotify are crucial!
"Dynamite's a very tricky sort of operation"
The topic is a bit old, but it's always interesting to see how other people work Smile

I currently develop more in PHP due to circumstances and was more of a Java/Desktop developer than a Web developer, so my tools are based on that previous experience.
  • NetBeans IDE as I can have every language I use in the same IDE, only exceptions are Cocoa and C#;
  • Filezilla for FTP;
  • The GIMP for image editing;
  • No wamp/mamp thingies, just the standard Apache, MySQL and PHP manually configured;
  • xDebug for debugging;

These tools work the same in every OS I use, from Snow Leopard to Windows and the various GNU Linux flavours, this way there is no difference when I switch.
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
Since I am not a coder I mostly use:
Filezilla
Photoshop & Paint
and of course good old Front Page

David I need to talk to you ASAP
Windows:
jEdit/bluefish
GIMP
Bluefish
filezilla
chrome/firebug

Linux:
jEdit/bluefish
Gimp
gftp
firefox/firebug
emacs for fast editing

:/ I never bought a mac and have always been into Linux
Coffee cup html
Paintshop Pro
Gimp
Notepad+
AutoIT (for writing script base programs)
SelloString Network - Holding the world together since 1972!
Windows:

Web Developer for Google Chrome
Topstyle Lite
notepad2 (just found out I was using an old version of 2004, never needed something better, or that's what I think...)
FsCapture (last freeware version)
Paint.net

I think I do need a better inexpensive (html/)css editor.

I use Cpanel for uploading and do all my cms-testing online (no sqamp)
Intype

I read a lot of forums and I don't see anyone using it.