Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to package theme with plugin
Hi, I recently discovered GetSimple and decided to use it for a bunch of my sites. I've already created a new theme to use, and thought it would be cool to add it to the Extend gallery in case anyone else would like it.

So my question is related to the fact that my theme has a plugin to allow a few settings to be configured (kind of like the Innovation theme). So is the recommended method:

1) Zip up both the theme and plugin in the same archive, and when adding to the Extend gallery file it under Theme.

2) Zip up the theme and plugin as separate archives, and then add them to the Extend gallery separately.

#1 makes the most sense to me, but I see for example that Innovation was uploaded as separate Theme and Plugin, so maybe #2 is the recommended way?

EDIT: I had a question about multisite capability here, but I've now moved that to this thread:

http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=5228
Put them in the same file.

Regards
English isn't my native language. Sorry for any mistakes you may find.
Quote: is there any interest in a multisite capability in GetSimple?

Post your method here and as a separate post. Make sure to include any hosting information that may be relevant to your method.
(2013-09-28, 20:46:05)eatons Wrote:
Quote: is there any interest in a multisite capability in GetSimple?

Post your method here and as a separate post. Make sure to include any hosting information that may be relevant to your method.

Yeah probably more visible if it's in its own thread. I've just removed the question from my first post altogether and added a link to the other thread instead.

And thanks Luigi, I'll do that.
Usually it's better to go for option 2, if you want to make changes to the plugin and/or theme later. I think generally option 2 is the preferred method.
You can make links in the description to the plugin and theme.
There really is no preffered way to recommended way, some have their theme copy the plugin via php.
You might want to also have the plugin in extend so the api works on it, with versioning updates etc.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Is there any other way to do this without using a plugin?
Is it possible to include a theme settings page when the theme is active?
English isn't my native language. Sorry for any mistakes you may find.
(2013-10-05, 10:27:50)Luigi Wrote: Is there any other way to do this without using a plugin?
Is it possible to include a theme settings page when the theme is active?

There is now a generic theme settings plugin, which might be helpful. See http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=6565.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.