Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extend
Some time ago I read in the forum that there were plans to improve Extend.
Since I don't see it in the Roadmap and Milestones I wonder what the status is at the moment. There are certain things that could be better.

If it at least would have search filters like:

• tags
  • GS version
  • Extend type (plugins/themes/languages/admin themes/etc.)
and list order by:

• last updated
  • most star rating
  • most downloaded
  • etc.

If I forgot the name of a plugin it's often hard to find it back between all the language and theme files listed.
Yeah matthew said something about this, but no one knows anything about what he was planning or doing.

There has been no progress on this, nor any communication of it.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
I add a favorites feature request also.
So you can track your plugins you keep an eye on, or even a download history.
(2014-01-09, 05:42:31)shawn_a Wrote: I add a favorites feature request also.
So you can track your plugins you keep an eye on, or even a download history.

Yeah that would be nice as well.
Where did you see it in the forums ?
I don't know, it was some time ago. I couldn't find it anymore via search function.

Ok not the actually post, but related: http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread...ght=extend

A tag cloud might also be an idea.
I think it was your post over here (last post): http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=3354

shawn_a Wrote:Extend is on the list to get an overhaul
I recall discussing this with Shovehost...

That was quite a while back, I was planning on rewriting the entire thing however that never happened.

I would be glad to assist in this if it happens, but I can not take the lead.
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
Yeah I remember a discussion outside of staff forums though. Oh we'll , we'll start back up with a design and see want we can do to make it happen.
1. Don't know if it's possible but maybe it's an idea to allow external storage in Extend. So you can post a plugin/theme/language file/etc. but specify a github place (for example) as main storage instead of being forced to upload a zip-file to Extend.

2. More Extend (main) categories:

code snippets
template files
plugin addons (instead of showing them as a seperate plugin)

I know the forum is being used for some of these, but the forum is not so well structured. Extend has also Structure issues, but they can be improved.
Here's another thread about it (2012) with ideas: http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=3052

Maybe a link to http://get-simple.info/wiki/plugins:guide on (in the top) Extend

Oh yeah and search on plugin-maker name would be nice. Let's say I forgot a plugin's name, but know the name of the maker.
Latest GS version you can select for a file in Extend is 3.3.0

I suggest that, instead of adding 3.3.1, you rename 3.3.0 to 3.3 and avoid listing point releases there from now on.
We already decided that, ill update the text though.
I guess that will not prefill now when editing any already set.
Are there still plans to update extend at some point? A couple of search filters would already be great.
(2014-01-24, 22:50:47)datiswous Wrote: 1. Don't know if it's possible but maybe it's an idea to allow external storage in Extend.

That'd be nice, but if with Github for example, can one link directly to the ZIP file in the /dist folder for download? If so, great! If not, it requires another step from the user (to go to the repo first and find the dist folder, and above all, know what it means). IMO also the ZIP upload to Extend is only a small effort. What I find a bit of wasted time is that plugin authors have to write:
1) a full plugin intro on the forums in myBB code
2) a recap of this intro in markdown in the Extend repo

And here's two suggestions for Extend "filters":
1) Alphabetical - handy for people who want to download a new version of a plugin they already had and know the name of.
2) Relevancy - a computed filter that takes into account star rating, date of the last update and amount of downloads, and accords an importance factor to each. 

I had already built a GDrive sheet about a year ago: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...EU/pubhtml# which lists a good amount of plugins, and aimed to implement a better list. Unfortunately after a while it seemed the methods used by sheets to retrieve data seem to be broken now...
Should also add a min php flag and tested chart like Drupal has.
one nice thing about having the downloads hosted here is that when external links and sites disappear, the files would remain available.
Add svn field
Btw. what is Extend based on? I know this website is a couple of components together (forum - mybb, docuwiki, ...), but for the rest I don't know. Just curious.
custom
Ideal GS Extend repo to me (for each of the categories, eg. Theme, Plugin, Admin theme, Lang, etc.):
- All info for all plugins available on 1 screen (using AJAX for details) so that you don't have to click each plugin for the details.
- Filter by tag, author name, rating, downloads amount, last update
- Sort by name, last update, rating, downloads amount
- accurate Search

[Image: tk5dKHs.png] 

(Note: this is a prototype of something I'm working on as an external utility; it works by retrieving http://get-simple.info/extend/all_plugins.php, parsing it as a DOM doc, retrieve the URL id's, then make ajax calls for each in turn to the extend API)
you know there is an api to get that info
This would make a great GS plugin, use any arbitrary api and show software plugins.
I would actually have a need for this for several projects.
Just need an api schema mapping file.

I was just thinking this the other day actually, as a stopgap , since the entire thing needs to be written from scratch it pointless to start band aiding it. Was to just create an external 3rd party portal as you have.
(2015-06-13, 09:20:07)shawn_a Wrote: you know there is an api to get that info

Yes, when I said AJAX calls in the note below the graphic, I meant AJAX calls to a PHP script which fetches GS API results. I think I tried doing direct AJAX calls to the API before but didn't manage. The overview of all plugins doesn't have an API endpoint, so I had to fetch it as HTML & parse it to retrieve all ID's.

If I can help the dev of the actual repo, gladly. But how?

(2015-06-13, 09:20:07)shawn_a Wrote: This would make a great GS plugin, use any arbitrary api and show software plugins.
I would actually have a need for this for several projects.

How do you see this as a GS plugin? I mean, I don't see how it adds any value inside the GS install?
And ofc. for this to be as flexible as to enable 'any' API, would require some more flexible code. You always seem to perceive bigger potential for what I build than I do Big Grin .
No there is an api for that..

Alot of sites need to maintain a file repository, and need a front end to wade through files.
Namely fan sites, mod sites.. etc.

A generic plugin extend front end would be useful as a plugin.

With the basic fileinfo there , you just need a mapping file to a json datasource mapping the basic fields to where they are in the file structure. so version = {item{version:version}} or item{archives {0} version} etc. or just make the datasource forced to match the input requirements. link:name:"Support Forum",id:"support_url"