Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GS v3.3.0 - CKEditor has problems in IE11
Great to see the v3.3.0 release, which brings CKEditor up to v3.6.6. But this version of CKEditor is a bit out-of-date and has a number of problems with Internet Explorer v11.

See: http://ckeditor.com/forums/CKEditor/Bugs-in-IE-11

IE11 compatibility requires CKEditor v4.3 or higher: http://dev.ckeditor.com/milestone/CKEditor%204.3

If CKEditor was integrated with GetSimple in the form of a pre-installed plugin it might be easier to issue updates for the editor separate from the rest of the GS core. That seems to be the approach taken in the other CMSs I have used.
Yeah we know.
IE market share just creeped up in Decembers way after this version was in beta testing.

Cke 4 is under rapid development and still constantly changing and being vetted for production use, It still has critical flaws.

Patch_cke branch already contains an early version of 4 it will be updated more this week.

Check the beta forum for the sticky thread on it.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Oh and compatibility mode works I think.
Yeah, I'm using the patched_CKE version on some of my sites already, but it's only patched with v4.1 so it's not compatible with IE11.

Tried out IE11 in compatibility mode and the results are:
- v3.3.0 stable: seems to solve the IE11 bugs that I'm aware of.
- patched_CKE branch: editor doesn't render at all.
I will be updating that branch this week to 4.3 or whatever.

I will also make a plugin to send the computability header.

The release schedule just wasnt working out and delays would delay 3.4
Fantastic, thanks.
I just merged stable to it today so maybe something is wrong, I did not thoroughly test it as I will be upgrading cke version as well before I announce it in the thread.
@shawn: What is the status of integrating an IE11 compatible version of CKEditor into the latest stable version of Get Simple?

As I think this has become quite a bit more urgent than it previously was.

A client pointed me to the fact that on IE11 the GS admin has now become almost impossible to use.

I use Firefox myself so I hadn't noticed, but I have tested things on 2 systems (Windows 7 and 8.1) here since. Result: when using one of the buttons in CKEditor that shows the pop-up with the various options (buttons like add link, add image, etc) you are not able to click on 'ok' or 'cancel'. So basically you cannot use these functions. Nor are you able to close the pop-up since the X doesn't work either.

Compatibility mode is also not an option as the 'page options' button then does not work....

I assume this was caused by a recent update during a patch tuesday. But nevertheless this has become a lot more pressing as a result since it has rendered IE11 use nearly impossible.

If there's a way around this bug in the meantime be sure to let us know too.

Thanks!
Seriously ?
There is a sticky thread right there in this forum.
Obviously I overlooked the sticky, sorry about that Shawn.

Notice you're planning to have this included in v 3.4.

Truth be told I am not entirely sure what to install where exactly to get that 4.1 version of CKE in the meantime. Maybe it is a good idea to add instructions to that sticky so that less technical people can also do this while waiting for it to appear in 3.4?

Especially considering the fact that compatibility mode seems to now close the door on other needed functionality (the 'page options' button that won't fold out anymore).
I updated the sticky, all the information is there.
There are no instructions, its the stable version with patched cke.
(2014-09-19, 06:16:17)shawn_a Wrote: I updated the sticky, all the information is there.
There are no instructions, its the stable version with patched cke.

Thanks for the head's up.