Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Menu Manager broke in 3.3.0
Are you using i18n nav in front end or are expecting this to work with get_nav ?

You guys have to specific when you say its not changing, what exactly is not changing ?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2014-02-11, 05:30:50)shawn_a Wrote: Are you using i18n nav in front end or are expecting this to work with get_nav ?

Ok, sorry, stupid of me. Indeed I forgot to change the get_nav.
Works now...
Thanks for following up and testing, it helps.

Draxeiro?
(2014-02-11, 06:45:53)shawn_a Wrote: Thanks for following up and testing, it helps.

Draxeiro?

Will test in the morning and let you know. I just switched off my pc after a loooooong day of work (around 10 in the evening here now).
Btw. I saw this in the changelog for v3.3.0:
Quote:Menu manager only saves once, subsequent saves do nothing, refresh page! ( fixed in hotfixes)
As I pointed out before, refreshing the page doesn't help. I assume this is because with a refresh the save-action is done again automatically (maybe something to look into in the future?). You have to navigate away and come back (this is also because the menu link of active admin pages are not clickable).
We'll it is irrelevant now, I'll remove that.

Refresh not resubmit.
(2014-02-11, 06:45:53)shawn_a Wrote: Thanks for following up and testing, it helps.

Draxeiro?

As promised I did some testing:

First of all I upgraded the 3.3.0 install on the test domain to 3.3.1. alpha
Then I made sure the I18n plugin was installed and activated.

Test #1:
site filled with limited amount of pages (around 30)

- went to the Edit Navigation Structure page, moved things around, saved
- 'navigation structure was saved' is notice displayed
- checked the front-end: menu order is changed as it should.

Basically in line with my previous findings.

Test #2:
Filled the site with a large amount of pages (228, in line with our company site which is on 3.3.0)

- went to the Edit Navigation Structure page, moved things around, saved
- 'navigation structure was saved' notice NOT displayed
- checked the front-end: menu order is NOT changed
- checked the Edit Navigation Structure page again: no change either.

Nothing is saved in other words.

Debug console doesn't show anything. Error log doesn't either.

Test #3:
Started deleting pages (consisting of text and images) to see when it would it would work again.

When I got down to 149 pages functionality of the Edit Navigation Structure page was restored and things functioned again as they should.

Test #4:
Started adding pages again, this time empty pages, just cloning pages to see when things would stop functioning again: this time at 171 pages

Error log and debug console still show nothing.

Mvlcek mentioned yesterday in the I18n topic that it might be caused by one of the following:

- not enough memory for PHP
- saving exceeds maximum time allowed for a request
- too many open files

Hope this helps you out.
So sounds like a plugin issue above certain pages on your installation.
This issue appears on 3.2.3 as well? can I close this as it sounds specific to your install.

It is still not that much data to save, also errors like that usually make your page request timeout.
And you should have an error in your gs error.txt or your hosts.

I wonder if you are getting a js error.
Try checking your browser console, F12 in chrome for js errors when the save fails.
(2014-02-12, 00:07:44)shawn_a Wrote: So sounds like a plugin issue above certain pages on your installation.
This issue appears on 3.2.3 as well? can I close this as it sounds specific to your install.

It is still not that much data to save, also errors like that usually make your page request timeout.
And you should have an error in your gs error.txt or your hosts.

I wonder if you are getting a js error.
Try checking your browser console, F12 in chrome for js errors when the save fails.

That why I also brought this up in the i18n topic. I figured it would be something I18n plugin related.

Not sure if it is specific for my install or host. Not everybody has a site with this many pages of course, so can also be that nobody ran into it so far.

Perhaps somebody can test this on another server?

At the same time our install is relatively standard. Nothing custom, standard GS with mainly I18n plugins (also I18n special pages, I18n custom fields and I18n search). I also tested with all plugins, except the I18n navigation one, switched off. Doesn't change a thing.

So if it is plugin related it would be I18n related.

In any case: no page request timeouts and neither an error in the gs error log.

When hitting save the Chrome console shows the following:
Code:
body.scrollTop is deprecated in strict mode. Please use 'documentElement.scrollTop' if in strict mode and 'body.scrollTop' only if in quirks mode. jquery.min.js?v=1.7.1:4
body.scrollLeft is deprecated in strict mode. Please use 'documentElement.scrollLeft' if in strict mode and 'body.scrollLeft' only if in quirks mode. jquery.min.js?v=1.7.1:4
event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.
I tested it on my qa server with several hundred pages. Worked fine.

And that looks all normal, no clue at this point.

Could it have something to do with the menu you are saving?
Or did it happen when you just add pages at root level with no actual nesting, i am thinking maybe loops or something.
It is possible that i18n suppresses any errors using the @symbol and you are not getting any error or failures.
(2014-02-12, 02:59:15)shawn_a Wrote: I tested it on my qa server with several hundred pages. Worked fine.

And that looks all normal, no clue at this point.

Could it have something to do with the menu you are saving?
Or did it happen when you just add pages at root level with no actual nesting, i am thinking maybe loops or something.
It is possible that i18n suppresses any errors using the @symbol and you are not getting any error or failures.

The plot thickens...

Don't think the menu will have anything to do with it. 80% of the pages on the site aren't even in a menu (project pages displayed by an i18n special page/i18n search combo).

Most pages are nested, 1 level deep.

Mvlcek asked me to check some log files, with regards to the 3 possible reasons for the problem he could think of. I asked him which logs exactly. When I know more I will let you know.

For all I know it could even be host-related.

Good to hear in any case that you didn't experience any problem upon testing it with several hundreds of pages.
Do you have very long slugs ?
There is a maximum post length but it is usually pretty large and defined by php.
If that is the case you would have issues saving very long page content.

When nav saves it sdds this to the page
[code]
$('div.bodycontent').before('<div class="<?php echo $success ? 'updated' : 'error'; ?>" style="display:block;">'+<?php echo json_encode($msg); ?>+'</div>');
$(".updated, .error").fadeOut(500).fadeIn(500);
[/code

Maybe look at the response code when you submit in dev tools and see what its outputing.
The news pages (around 30 of them) have pretty long slugs, as do the slugs of the project pages (140+ pages).

Still, if there had been issues with those, wouldn't it have given the problems while initially saving them?

Not sure exactly where to look at the response code, the Chrome console doesn't show anything except the code I gave previously. Or did you mean something else?
I guess you could just click view page source
(2014-02-12, 23:40:19)shawn_a Wrote: I guess you could just click view page source

Not really sure how you mean that? In the page view of the admin after your save it? In the front end?
Well after you submit, it is failing, but you are not getting an error or a success notification at the top.
Which suggests to me that the plugin has to be erroring out somewhere, or skipping an entire piece of logic.

so I am wondering if your page source after you submit and get no success, if you page even got that bit of coed back i pasted above.
(2014-02-15, 00:04:05)shawn_a Wrote: Well after you submit, it is failing, but you are not getting an error or a success notification at the top.
Which suggests to me that the plugin has to be erroring out somewhere, or skipping an entire piece of logic.

so I am wondering if your page source after you submit and get no success, if you page even got that bit of coed back i pasted above.

I realized I didn't get back to you on this:

After making a change on the Edit Navigation Structure page and saving it will first not view the page source, saying the page has expired and the document isn't available any more, upon reloading the view source page it will show the code.

Compared it in Winmerge: exactly the same. So nothing at all is added.
Still curious what is causing your problem, let me know if you want me to take a look at it and ill see what i can do. Pm me etc.