Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GS Default language (admin)
I am a Dutchman and in the Netherlands (and many other countries) the English language is well established, especially for computer applications / programs. For example, I can not imagine MS Office, E-mail client, Browser etc/etc on my system in Dutch!

But the GS plugins use for the language the default language (language selected by admin). But what if I want the admin (language) in English and the plugins read the Dutch language files? Now I'm bound by the admin language also in Dutch, horrible!

Why not - or at least an option to - separate this?
Read from config to set Plugin default language? > setlocale(LC_ALL, 'nl_NL');
check this wiki entry: http://get-simple.info/wiki/plugins:i18n#front-end
You may as well use this variable in template.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
(2014-02-13, 22:50:00)yojoe Wrote: check this wiki entry: http://get-simple.info/wiki/plugins:i18n#front-end

That easy? Didn't know this, thx Yojoe.
I don't understand, do you mean you want the plugins to have a different language? Or do you mean front end language ? You said plugins which is confusing, admin text on the back in 2 different languages seems odd.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Sorry for my unclear description ;( I'll try again ...

I use Multi User as plugin. In User Profile I have set the language to English but I want to show my visitors Dutch texts only (plugins language files use for front). But due to my settings the English texts are shown.
If I set the language in User Profile to Dutch the front is OK but I don't want to have my admin in Dutch!

But Yojoe tip to wiki works for me now. I add $LANG = 'nl_NL'; in config.php and leave admin language (User profile) in en_US.
Yeah this has been discussed elsewhere, but we do not have user front end lang in core.

This is similar to this issue, but I do not think there is a issue created specifically for this.
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpleCMS/issues/577

Perhaps a gsconfig for lang would work for both
(2014-02-13, 23:02:40)Rene Wrote:
(2014-02-13, 22:50:00)yojoe Wrote: check this wiki entry: http://get-simple.info/wiki/plugins:i18n#front-end

That easy? Didn't know this, thx Yojoe.

Adding $LANG = 'nl_NL'; to the gsconfig.php doesn't work anymore in new GS? ;(
What version you noticing this on ?
(2014-04-02, 22:59:52)shawn_a Wrote: What version you noticing this on ?

In post #5 of Feb, 13th (see above) it was working. I allways work with newest GS updates, so I asume with v3.3.0 it was working?
Works for me, testing on hotfixes branch and login page.
What is not working ?
(2014-04-03, 03:42:43)shawn_a Wrote: Works for me, testing on hotfixes branch and login page.
What is not working ?

Hmm, when you say it works, then it usually is Wink but I'll try it anyway ...

After admin login (in User Management language is set to en_US) goto tab pages, choose newsletter page and click button view, dropdown text is 'Choose newsletter from list'.

Logging out from GS admin and then choosing same page dropdown text is 'Kies een nieuwsbrief uit de lijst'.

But as well as (logged-in) admin I want to check pagecontent / pluigns in Dutch!
I don't know what any of that means. You do realize that the user lang overrides the global lang, so if you are logged in thats what happens.
(2014-04-03, 06:26:19)shawn_a Wrote: I don't know what any of that means. You do realize that the user lang overrides the global lang, so if you are logged in thats what happens.

Well, it isn't insurmountable, more 'pesky'. When setting up a website I want to check front, even when I'm logged in as admin. Now I have to set my admin language to Dutch to check front. But personal I find GS admin in Dutch language horrible Wink
Whats horrible about it? The hardcoded appended stuff or word order ?
How can it be better ?

The solution would be to override the language somehow for front end with a plugin or something.
Since there is no front end i18n support in core.

one of the i18n masters can chime in the best way but its possible to override just not using the gsconfig method
So are you saying that this used to work ?
That $LANG always overrode the user lang on front end, at some point ?

Either way I suppose I can change this
English words are extreme powerful and short, Dutch words (translation) are general annoyingly long. A Dutch translation can change (screw up) a complete lay-out (of a plugin). I'm a front-end developer, but that's also the personal opinion of many Dutch.

My default admin language always is 'en_US' but visitors of the website should always see Dutch texts, so I have to check these texts (from plugins etc) with every setup of a new GS site. I was looking for a technically solution in GS. Adding $LANG="nl_NL" to config seems to work. Setting my admin language temporary to Dutch (a detour) works, so I don't want to bother ýou with this further.

Thanks for the effort.
I always open the site in ingonito mode, so you are not logged in when testing, but can remain logged in.
(2014-04-04, 00:04:26)shawn_a Wrote: I always open the site in ingonito mode, so you are not logged in when testing, but can remain logged in.

Hmm, incognito mode of browser, why haven't I thought of this Wink
Thx Shawn