Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mutiple Installs - One host
I'm trying to have several independent websites hosted on the same shared hosting server

I have them installed and everything is working except that the index page on any secondary sites re-directs back to my original index.php for my original install.

This is obviously not desirable as I would like each website to have its own index page.

Once again these sites are totally separate and serve totally different purposes so i'm not sure if there is an appropriate way to have them both on the same install.

What am I missing here?
Normally you would simply go to Settings in the back end and in the Website URL box enter the correct root/index location for each install. If you have checked that and it is still not working then something else has gone wrong.
Yeah I checked to make sure the root was correct. Aside from the index page everything else directs fine. Could this be something in the redirect settings on my server?
you have to have seperate htaccess rewrites so each gs install needs to be in a subfolder
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
The way I have it now is one site in public_HTML/mainsite and one in public_HTML/secondarySite.

Are you saying the secondary site needs to be a sub folder of my main install? Like public_html/main site/seondarySite?[/b]
secondarysite/ redirects to mainsite/ ?

I cannot imagine how that is even possible if your siteurls are setup correctly.

Do you have some kind of rewrite in your main root public_HTML/.htaccess
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2014-03-11, 12:31:45)mdombrock Wrote: Once again these sites are totally separate and serve totally different purposes so i'm not sure if there is an appropriate way to have them both on the same install.

Just to be clear, you have two separate installations of GS (not two sites on a single installation)? You have two different domain names or two distinct subdomains?

A shared hosting server is not a problem, per se, as long as your hosting provider doesn't disallow multiple domains on the same account. However, it will be necessary to have your part of the server configured for multiple domains. For example, if you have cPanel, it's under Domains -> Addon Domains, where you can specify the directory for the root of each additional domain name, or Domains -> Subdomains for subdomains of the original domain name. (I hope you can follow this.)

I would expect the primary domain name for your hosting (the one you used when the hosting account was first established) to have /public_HTML as its root and this was probably also set for the root of the www. subdomain. I would also expect that subsequent (additional) (sub)domain names should be above that directory, and the Addon Domains or Subdomains configured accordingly.

As all the sites on that server have the same public IP address, this configuration is necessary for incoming requests to be directed to the right place, otherwise you get the kind of results that you are reporting.

It might be useful if you can tell us the name of your hosting provider, the hosting package you have and what the control panel is.

If you're already aware of all this, I apologise for the noise ... ;-)
--
Nick.