Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loop Pb not fixed
Hi !

It's just to inform you that the loop pb during installation is not fixed with the version 1.4...
I'm just waiting for a pacth before trying this CMS very ambitious !
If you want more informations about my config or what ever you want, i'll just be happy to help to solve this pb.
My config :
[Image: configk.th.png]
What do you mean by 'Pb' ?
------
I can't design for shit but I can code the shit out of your design
When I click on log in after the installation, I arrive once again sur the install page...
This will be fixed in ver 1.5, due out in a couple days. Thanks.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
i have installed 1.5 in a subdirectory & I can confirm that the loop problem is still there.
after filling the initial settings & getting password, once i click on the login link it brings me back to the install screen
I have PHP Version 5.2.9
Derek Wrote:What do you mean by 'Pb' ?

I guess problem?
Sorry, in french it's an usual abreviation.
Thanks Eliman - There must have been two reasons for the install loop. One was a mistake of mine where i used a reserved word ($pwd) to check if the site was setup or not. I have since fixed that.

The other problem with this is probably because the install procedure doesn't have rights to write to the /data/other/ folder on your server. Since it can't write the config file, it keeps thinking it has never been setup - thus sending you back to the install page.

Please check to see if the second reason is happening to you... if you see website.xml in the /data/other/ folder then we have a different problem on our hands here.

Thanks!
- Chris

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
No, I have not the file, but the folder is on CHMOD 0755... Can I have the file to modify it and upload it on the server ?
brian, giving you the file isnt going to help because you would then also need to write new pages, which would be in the /data/pages/ folder.

For test's sake - try chmodding the folder to 0777. this isn't safe, but we can at least see if it works...
- Chris

I have tried with the 1.5 version and it doesn't work ! However, if I do a 0777 CHMOD, all works perfectly.
hhmm, something with your server isnt allowing the write process with normal permissions. What about 766? It is a little safer than 777...

if this works, and you want to keep it that way, you will need to CHMOD the whole /data/ and /backups/ folders.
- Chris

No, install is looping with a 766 CHMOD...
well, this has to be a requirement of your host - that's the only thing I can think of. 777 is bad if you are on a shared host, which many of us are.

I don't know why some hosts need 777 for it to work, and others don't. I guess right now it's just something we need to deal with.... but I will keep an eye out for a fix/workaround.

Thanks for helping Brian.
- Chris

I'm on a shared host... Whatever, I think a simple test at the end of installation for check if the file exist would be nice.

Something likes this:
Code:
if (file_exists('data/other/website.xml')) {
    $thisfile = 'data/other/website.xml';
    $data = getXML($thisfile);
    $SITEURL = $data->SITEURL;
}

if (@$SITEURL == '') {
$err .= '<b>Error:</b> Try to do a <em>CHMOD 777</em> on the folders data and backups<br />';
}

May be you can do the CHMOD automaticly, but you need to be sure that's not dangerous...
very good idea brian. I will get this in...

i do a chmod 755 at the beginning of the install.php page, but for those that require 777, that doesnt help a bit.
- Chris

For those that require a CHMOD 777, it sounds like the files aren't CHOWNed correctly. Is that possible in the PHP script, to detect the root owner and then use that to CHOWN the others?
------
Derek, I've had an idea about this... let me know what you think if this will work to resolve these types of issues:

<as we are about to write to a file>
1. chmod directory to 777
2. write file
3. chmod directory back to 544
- Chris

I meant to say:

3. chmod directory back to 755
- Chris

That should work. Once the XML file is written, it will have the correct owner and group. I just wonder if the folder permissions will prevent it from writing. I have tried to duplicate this error, but I can't replicate it for the life of me.

It really all comes down to if it's folder or file permissions screwing it up.
------
I am experiencing the same loop. Same request for site name, email, url after submission loop.

No data writing to /data (.xml)

Tried and Failed:
chmod 755 on data
chmod 777 on data
chmod 755 on GetSimple
chmod 777 on GetSimple

Environment:
Ubuntu 9.04, Apache 2, PHP 5
enabled mod rewrite
.htaccess in dir

What's next?

-Ryan
Please post the contents of your .htaccess file. And I think I am getting this right, but you have this in a sub folder of your main webroot, correct?
------
chmod 777 on /var/www/GetSimple

Removed lines 42-62 in functions.php to fix blank site issue, but still looping.

<.htaccess @ /var/www/GetSimple/.htaccess>

Options +Indexes
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on

## Uncomment if you are installing GS into a subdirectory
## Replace 'cms' with the folder that GS is installed in
RewriteBase /GetSimple/

## If you uncomment out the above line, comment this one out.
#RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule /?([A-Za-z0-9-]+)/?$ index.php?id=$1 [L]
</.htaccess>

-Thanks
I got past the loop screen by setting

chmod -R 777 /var/www/GetSimple

But this is too unsecured for me.

It loops when:
chmod -R 755 /var/www/GetSimple/data
chmod -R 777 /var/www/GetSimple/data

It works when:
chmod -R 777 /var/www/GetSimple

I'm happy I've got this running, but what do I have to do to secure it?

-Ryan