Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GetSimple Blog
(2016-03-29, 04:03:05)jwzumwalt Wrote:
(2016-03-29, 03:24:30)Sisyphos Wrote: somehow it seems the $blogUserPermissions haven't then been initialized correctly which is odd. Anything that may block cookies?

The site runs fine with about 20 other plugins so db and templates is running smoothly, it is just this plugin that is complaining for some reason. I also uninstalled and re-installed hoping maybe it would reboot itself properly - but I get the same " Undefined index" errors.

I do not know anything about programming with templates, but I have SQL and PHP db programming experience. If this where normal PHP code it would mean the db did not have the specified column name - but who knows with templates?

Due to troubles I actually started with version 3.3.1 which somehow worked better and it seem to have initialized certain files for me. After that I upgraded to 3.4 and had to fix the aforementioned line in the code and it is working since. Will try to find if there is a way to ensure the files are correctly created right from version 3.4.
(2016-03-30, 06:35:01)Sisyphos Wrote:
(2016-03-29, 04:03:05)jwzumwalt Wrote:
(2016-03-29, 03:24:30)Sisyphos Wrote: somehow it seems the $blogUserPermissions haven't then been initialized correctly which is odd. Anything that may block cookies?

The site runs fine with about 20 other plugins so db and templates is running smoothly, it is just this plugin that is complaining for some reason. I also uninstalled and re-installed hoping maybe it would reboot itself properly - but I get the same " Undefined index" errors.

I do not know anything about programming with templates, but I have SQL and PHP db programming experience. If this where normal PHP code it would mean the db did not have the specified column name - but who knows with templates?

Due to troubles I actually started with version 3.3.1 which somehow worked better and it seem to have initialized certain files for me. After that I upgraded to 3.4 and had to fix the aforementioned line in the code and it is working since. Will try to find if there is a way to ensure the files are correctly created right from version 3.4.

Ah! isn't volunteer work worth every dime yoy get paid Sad  All you get to hear is the complaints. Whoops! I am about to sneeze a compliment....  thanks for the hard work!

Oh I almost forgot... if you have everything working right, then everyone complains that it needs more features until you do break it!
------------------------------------------------
UPDATE
Just tried installing 1.0.1 then 3.4.1....  It worked!!
So, there is a config problem.
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
(2016-03-30, 16:02:30)jwzumwalt Wrote: UPDATE
Just tried installing 1.0.1 then 1.5....  It worked!!

dear jwzumwalt, what are you referring to when writing about version numbers 1.0.1 and 1.5 ? some plugin maybe, or an older version of getsimple blog?
(2016-03-30, 16:44:58)pigsound Wrote:
(2016-03-30, 16:02:30)jwzumwalt Wrote: UPDATE
Just tried installing 1.0.1 then 3.4.1....  It worked!!

dear jwzumwalt, what are you referring to when writing about version numbers 1.0.1 and 1.5 ? some plugin maybe, or an older version of getsimple blog?

1. Go to the blog plugin page http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/gs-blog/462/
  2. At the very bottom of the screen is "Archived Versions:" click on "show"
  3. select and install 1.0.1
  4. then select and install 3.4.1 from http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/get...-blog/810/
  5. disable the old blog
  6. at about line #327 make this change in <site>/plugins/gs-blog/inc/adminFunctions.php
Replace

Code:
if(!empty((string)$data->thumbnail)) { // Does a thumbnail exist with the post?

With

Code:
                $thumbfile = (string) $data->thumbnail;
             if(!empty($thumbfile)) { // Does a thumbnail exist with the post?
               // Output the HTML for the image
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
thank you for your fast reply!
I've made a note of the string casting issue and have created an issue on GitHub [#089] along with a few other issues that were discovered during testing of the next update.

The problems with UserManagement is known, but there is nothing that can be done about it. The problem has to do with the order in which your plugins load (they load alphabetically). For it to work, user management needs to load before the blog, currently it does not (G is before U). There is a work around for this: Disable the users plugin, rename user-management.php to a-user-management.php. Enable the plugin again. Everything should work as expected now.
Check out my website: JohnStray.com
(2016-03-30, 19:09:22)johnstray2001 Wrote: The problems with UserManagement is known, but there is nothing that can be done about it. The problem has to do with the order in which your plugins load (they load alphabetically). For it to work, user management needs to load before the blog, currently it does not (G is before U). There is a work around for this: Disable the users plugin, rename user-management.php to a-user-management.php. Enable the plugin again. Everything should work as expected now.

There is a plugin that might help with this issue (I diddn't test it):

Reorder the plugins so that content is loaded in the order you want: http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/plu...order/398/
I never knew about this one. I might grab it and see how it works. See if I can work it's functionality into GS Blog to force user management to load before the blog.
it seems that the page where the blog events are displayed only shows the posts with a date equal to the current month. is there a way to configure gsblog to show all events with future dates?
(2016-03-30, 19:09:22)johnstray2001 Wrote: The problems with UserManagement is known, but there is nothing that can be done about it. The problem has to do with the order in which your plugins load (they load alphabetically). For it to work, user management needs to load before the blog, currently it does not (G is before U). There is a work around for this: Disable the users plugin, rename user-management.php to a-user-management.php. Enable the plugin again. Everything should work as expected now.

i just tried your workaround.
user 1 (the admin with no restricted rights) can create and edit posts, user 2 (created secondly, no restricted rights) still cannot create nor edit posts. what can i do to correct this bug?
i use getsimple 3.3.8 with getsimple blog 3.4.1

--update--
trying to solve the user permissions problem i realized that in the user management where you check and uncheck the permissions, my settings were not saved when hitting the save button. so i opend the xml-file of the affected user in data/users/ and edited the permissions manually. now user 2 can also edit and create blog posts. :-)
I am setting up a blog on a test site using GetSimple v3.3.8 and GetSimple Blog v 3.4.1
I trolled through the thread but may have missed seeing the answers to my questions.

I want to show "read more" on the end of my excerpts. I changed frontEndFunctions.php line 308 to "$read_more=true" but it didn’t make any change.
Q1. What else needs to change to get "read more" on the end of my excerpts" ?

When Pretty URLs is set to No, I can see the page Ok
When Pretty URLs is set to Yes, and I click on a post from the Blog page or from the category list I get 'Oops! Page not found!
Q2. How can I have Pretty URLs and see the pages?

Thanks
I'm no Einstein, nor do I profess to be. Just saying what I would try in the circumstances.
$read_more actually requires a string of text. This is a known issue and a fix is on its way. For now, set it like this: $read_more = 'Read more'

To get pretty URLs to work, you need to add the extra bit to your .htaccess file. Once you enable PrettyURLs in the blog settings, a link appears that will show a dialog with what your file should look like to make it work.
(2016-04-07, 07:32:56)johnstray2001 Wrote: $read_more actually requires a string of text. This is a known issue and a fix is on its way. For now, set it like this: $read_more = 'Read more'

This didn't work for me. I'll just hang off and wait for the fix.

I like this plugin, I've got another site I will be adding it to.

thanks.
I'm no Einstein, nor do I profess to be. Just saying what I would try in the circumstances.
New to GS and this plugin. Trying it out and trying to decide whether to use it or News Manager

I have everything working except the "recent posts" link. I've tried inserting the following code both in the sidebar and on a test page:

<?php show_blog_recent_posts($excerpt=false, $excerpt_length=null, $thumbnail=null, $read_more=null); ?>

But nothing appears. In the plugin settings I do have the recent posts count set to 5.

I know this plugin is deprecated and will be replaced by SimpleBlog (currently in alpha). I couldn't find any documentation on the website anymore though. Sad
Archive List of a certain month displays "Blog Archive: [current month]"

no matter which month's archive list i choose, the headline is always showing the actual month - so for now, may.
i assumed, the headline should display the month of the displayed archived blogs.

does anybody have a clue what is going wrong here?
I installed and tried your plugin so far not bad but has couple of errors need to be fixed asap as it's causing the site to overload allowed resources ending with 508 error.

PHP Notice: Undefined variable: tag in /home/user/public_html/plugins/gs-blog/inc/frontEndFunctions.php on line 398

PHP Warning: Illegal offset type in /home/user/public_html/plugins/gs-blog/inc/frontEndFunctions.php on line 198

Missing argument 1 for show_blog_tag(), called in /home/user/public_html/admin/inc/theme_functions.php(544) : eval()'d code on line 27 and defined in /home/user/public_html/plugins/gs-blog/inc/frontEndFunctions.php on line 388

Undefined variable: data in /home/user/public_html/plugins/gs-blog/inc/frontEndFunctions.php on line 392

PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/user/public_html/plugins/gs-blog/inc/frontEndFunctions.php on line 392

Please assist, thank you!
BLOG SETTINGS – NUMBER OF ARTICLES

i am confused with the settings concerning the number of articles on one page and the number of recent articles.

presently, i have set the number of articles on one page to 12, the number of recent articles are set to 6.
on the blog page, 6 articles are shown, when i flip to "next page", 8 articles are shown. this doesn't seem to reflect my settings. when i increase the number of articles on one page, the number of articles on the blog page increase as well and the number of articles on the next page decrease. but never do the numbers of articles on both pages add up to the sum of the articles i set in the blog settings. i cannot see a relation between the defined settings and the number of shown articles.
can anybody explain the settings to me? i don't get it.

another thing i wonder about is why after flipping to the "next page" i have no possibility to move on to the next "next page", although there would be more articles to show. can i somewhere switch it on or off?
Greetings folks,

I have a couple of questions. I'm still using the older version of GS Blog 1.5 on my live site, but I use the latest version of GetSimple Blog 3.41 on my localhost site.

1. I've just upgraded to Get Simple CMS 3.3.10 and it seems that the CK Editor in GetSimple Blog 3.41 is working improperly. When I click the link to add an image to my article, the grey screen appears, but the dialogue box is not there. There is no X to click to close it either.

How do I solve this?

2. On the archive page where GetSimple Blog 3.41 shows the thumbnail and excerpt from the number of posts that you want per page, I'd like to create more space between the entries.

How do I do that?

3. And finally, how do I remove, or move the publish dates from the posts?

Many thanks in advance.

Homershines
(2016-06-17, 22:24:37)homershines Wrote: 1. I've just upgraded to Get Simple CMS 3.3.10 and it seems that the CK Editor in GetSimple Blog 3.41 is working improperly. When I click the link to add an image to my article, the grey screen appears, but the dialogue box is not there. There is no X to click to close it either.

How do I solve this?
I can't reproduce that problem. You can activate debug mode (in gsconfig.php, or via this plugin) and see if there's an error.
1. Try clearing your browser cache, or test with a private browser window, or a different browser.
(2016-06-18, 00:01:01)Carlos Wrote: 1. Try clearing your browser cache, or test with a private browser window, or a different browser.

Thanks Carlos and datiswous.
I use Firefox as my go-to browser, and tried it in Opera.
No problems at all.

Are my other questions issues that have been addressed earlier somewhere in the GetSimple Blog threads?

I search, but maybe I'm asking the wrong thing.

Many thanks gentlemen.

Homershines
First post, and, appropriately--thanks for the GetSimple Blog plugin. Hadn't used GetSimple CMS in a couple years, but a recent client needed a quick blog without MySQL while we wait out the 5.7 memory leak (using ServerPilot.io so kinda have to ride this one out, waiting for MySQL updates as we didn't want additional RAM consumption from a second MySQL database)...and I thought I would use GetSimple and GS Blog.

I was wondering if someone might be able to direct me to where I can edit the appropriate settings for the RSS output for the blog? I'm getting the following output:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0"  xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
<channel>
<title></title>
<link>https://blog.ticketsandbadges.com/rss.rss</link>
<description></description>
<lastBuildDate>Sat, 25 Jun 2016 23:13:01 -0700</lastBuildDate>
<language></language>

...where the title, description, and language are empty.

I looked through the files and found what I thought might be the correct locations to edit directly and hardcode them, but it didn't work out. Since it would make more sense to let the blog settings actually handle it anyway, and to make sure it's future proofed for updates...I figured I better seek out some help from those who are more familiar with the plugin.

If there's a way to increase the length of the RSS excerpts, that would be good information as well.

The blog is using the homepage to display the list view. Environment is PHP 5.6, a Ubuntu 16.04 server hosted on Vultr, managed with ServerPilot, and a modded Innovation theme. The feed outputs where it should...just missing those fields, so it won't validate. I've thrown everything together in the last 72 hours (amid other projects as well), and it's possible I'm overlooking something obvious. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Sean:

<title> and <description> are missing because you first need to set the in the blog's settings. Look for "RSS Feed Title:" and "RSS Feed Description:" respectively.

The language tag missing is actually a bug and I've created an issue on GitHub for this : Issue #094

Changes to the RSS Feed in an upcoming version will allow for modifying the excerpt length. Follow Issue #095
homershines:

Quote:2. On the archive page where GetSimple Blog 3.41 shows the thumbnail and excerpt from the number of posts that you want per page, I'd like to create more space between the entries.

How do I do that?

3. And finally, how do I remove, or move the publish dates from the posts?

2.) This can be done by adding some CSS to style the elements, such as a margin or padding

3.) "/gs-blog/layout-list.php" or "/gs-blog/layout-post.php", modify these files to remove what you need to. In layout-post, refer to lines 28-34.
I think that's all for the outstanding questions for now.

Version 3.4.2 will be available on extend shortly. A few more changes were made after the beta. This is primarily a bugfix release.

Version 3.4.3 is on its way in a month or two time containing some enhancements to the RSS feed and plugin load order (fix user management issues). This is primarily a minor enhancement release.

Version 3.4.4 will fix any bugs created by v3.4.3. No timeline for this yet. This will primarily be a bugfix release.