Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSS for a particular page
This is probably really obvious to most of you, but it impressed me so I thought I'd write it here for those who aren't programmers.

I needed some special css formatting for a couple of particular pages. The css file is a couple of hundred lines long so I didn't really want it read for every page, plus some of its formatting might overwrite the general template, which I also didn't want to do.

It was really simple due to good development docs, thanks to the developers.

What I did was test for the page's slug and, if it was the ones I wanted, include the css file. That way, for most pages the css is not included which means the user's browser doesn't have to parse a couple of hundred lines of unnecessary css.

This is how easy it is:
Code:
<?php $myslug = return_page_slug(); if ( $myslug == "books" || $myslug == "about" )
{ include 'books.php' ; } ?>

books.php is the css encapsulated in <?php ... ?> tags with one echo statement at the beginning. PHP's multi-line echo makes this sort of thing easy.

In-line css is supposed to go in the <head> section so that is where I put the statement, just below the IE6 flicker hack, in template.php.

You can see the result by viewing the source of http://www.nickcoleman.org/books

Many thanks to the developers for CS. I very much like the simple and well-thought out way of doing things in it.

Cheers,
Nick
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't GetSimple give every page a body ID by default that you can use as a hook for CSS styling particular to that page? I don't think you need to go through everything you outlined above.

For example, if you create a page called, I dunno, "Fred"..well this would appear in the markup:

Code:
<body id="fred" >

You can just use

Code:
#fred {

}

in your CSS for whatever page specific styling you want to do.

Just be careful with naming conventions.
That's good to know, thanks.

In this case, I wanted the CSS to appear only for those pages. It's lengthy, and it changes the appearance of <dt> items quite a bit.