Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Polls Plugin (Square It)
I'm releasing a preview version of my latest plugin, Simple Polls.

Note that this is an early preview version, that I wanted to share with the GetSimple community to get feedback.

Google Code Project Page:
http://code.google.com/p/gs-polls/

Simple Polls (Early Preview v.0.1)
http://gs-polls.googlecode.com/files/squ...review.zip

Note: Plugin does not currently work when you have installed exec_php plugin.

Please post your comments and any bug you find here..

Thanks!
- Julian

My GetSimple Plugins: Simple Image Gallery | TweetMeme reTweet Button
Sorry, but I couldn't get the poll to work.
Any instructions?

Thanks.

homershines
Where you able to create a poll but not display it on a page? If you give me more info at what you are trying to do I can probably help you.

Thanks!
- Julian

Haven't been able to get anything.
Blank screen at first.
I have a squareit-gs-polls-preview folder in my plugins directory.
There are also squareit-loadtab and squareit-polls folders here as well.
Outside of those folders and in the plugins directory are the files squareit-loadtab.php and squareit-simple-polls.php.

However, there is no indication of the plugin's existence in Admin pages/Plugin Management.

I'd like to place the call for the poll in my sidebar, but what is the call?

Thanks again and sorry if my questions seem too basic.

Thanks.

homershines
homershines Wrote:Haven't been able to get anything.
Blank screen at first.
I have a squareit-gs-polls-preview folder in my plugins directory.
There are also squareit-loadtab and squareit-polls folders here as well.
Outside of those folders and in the plugins directory are the files squareit-loadtab.php and squareit-simple-polls.php.

However, there is no indication of the plugin's existence in Admin pages/Plugin Management.

I'd like to place the call for the poll in my sidebar, but what is the call?

Thanks again and sorry if my questions seem too basic.

Thanks.

homershines

What version of GetSimple do you have? Also can you enable debug mode. So that you can see if any errors are being generated?

Thanks
- Julian

I'm using GS 2.01 and I just turned on the DEBUG Mode.

When I move the 4 files from the squareit-gs-polls-preview folder, directly into the plugins folder, I get a white page with the following....

Warning: require_once(squareit-polls/lang/en_US.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Users/homerjackson/offline-web design work/GS_201_RC2/plugins/squareit-simple-polls.php on line 32

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'squareit-polls/lang/en_US.php' (include_path='.:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php5/lib/php') in /Users/homerjackson/offline-web design work/GS_201_RC2/plugins/squareit-simple-polls.php on line 32

When I leave them in the squareit-gs-polls-preview folder, everything is fine.

I assume that they belong in the squareit-gs-polls-preview folder.

Still don't see them listed among the plugins in the Plugin Management page.

Thanks.

homershines
I Messed up!! I uploaded a zip that is missing a couple of files. I will upload the correct one tomorrow since I don't have the files with me right now.
- Julian

Thanks.
I still see myself as a newbie, so I just knew that I was doing something wrong or didn't follow some instruction.

Thanks again and looking forward.

homershines
homershines Wrote:Thanks.
I still see myself as a newbie, so I just knew that I was doing something wrong or didn't follow some instruction.

Thanks again and looking forward.

homershines

Posted the updated version on google code. It should be the same link: but just in case here it is again:

http://gs-polls.googlecode.com/files/squ...review.zip

Once again sorry for not double checking the zip file before posting it. Sad

I hope it works, and feel free to post comments /bugs here.

Thanks!
- Julian

Thanks.

It works! ...at least in the page.
Can't figure how to get it to work in sidebar though.

Thanks.

homershines
homershines Wrote:Thanks.

It works! ...at least in the page.
Can't figure how to get it to work in sidebar though.

Thanks.

homershines

Glad it worked!!

At the moment the plugin does not allow you to put polls on a sidebar. It works only in content pages. I will try to find a way that will allow you to put polls as widgets in any place you need to.
- Julian

Thanks for bearing with me.

Looks good and I'll look out for the updates.
By the way, my favorite poll script is ZokiPoll.

http://www.zokisoft.com/products/zoki-poll

Have you ever seen it?

Your integration in GS is too sexy though.

Peace & many thanks.

homershines
I found that It does not work with "exec PHP" plugin.
Hi Julian - still fairly new to GS and particularly incorporating plugins, so bear with me Smile
- couldn't get yours (gallery or poll) to work as expected - removed exec-php and the gallery plugin now appears to work (nice, thanks) The poll plugin though only appeared as a poll form once - after that all I see is the poll results (all set to 0%, logged in or out) - I know this is alpha...

There are some great plugins being developed by GS gurus, but for newbies one thing that is lacking is a bit more structured documentation e.g. dependencies, assumptions made when adding plugin x or y. To some extent that also applies to themes (eg any that use Zegnat's menu need to flag that).

Is there any merit in one of the 'elders' creating guidelines for plugin creators in terms of how they could more clearly document their additions - this http://get-simple.info/docs/plugin-creation only covers the logic of the plugin creation itself - docs would save a lot of repeat questions / head-scratching in the forums and probably speed up the adoption/dev of what is intrinsically a great CMS.

For those contributors speaking English as a second language, even a choppy 'Google Translate' version is better than none for a newbie like me!

Anyway, keep up the great work! Hope one day to be able to add at least a theme or two to say thanks.

Cheers,

Adrian
We never gave documentation of plugins much of a thought. Mostly because the whole plugin system itself is still very premature (and so is GetSimple for that matter).

It think the biggest problem with some sort of guideline would be how insanely different all plugins are. Same plugins like the image gallery need no changes to the theme, others like CustomFields and VuduNews incorporate with the back-end but still need you to edit code and last all pieces of code, functions and plugins by my hand will need you to incorporate the functional part yourself. I don’t think there would be any generic way to document all of these plugins other than a line stating “needs template edits”, “drag and drop” and “coders only” or something like that.

But of course let us know how you would like to see plugin documentation done!

bigbanghq Wrote:For those contributors speaking English as a second language, even a choppy ‘Google Translate’ version is better than none for a newbie like me!
Heeeey, hold on, what are you implying? ;-)
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Hej! Zegnat - no, Swedes are exempt, they speak better English than most Brits I know...

Zegnåt Wrote:...the biggest problem with some sort of guideline would be how insanely different all plugins are...

Point taken, but I guess there's different ways to document stuff - snippets of example <pre>code</pre> in place can be handy (put somewhere like http://snipplr.com/) so it's more permanent; the odd screenshot or two can help; and I personally want to start doing screencasts because clients can't read Wink

My thought was more merely to encourage each developer to sit back and say "OK, if I hadn't just coded this myself, where might I need to do a little more explaining to someone looking at this 'cold'. I appreciate that's more work, but the warm fuzzy feeling would be priceless Smile And in the same way that an email received via a form is more predictable to read than a free-form one, setting out 'issues' in a regular order might be possible?

Also, there are people like me who could have fun creating more complex templates once we 'get' the plugins and could incorporate them more easily - one of the reasons I like GS is because I'm really more of a front-end kinda guy Smile

I know it's still early days, but GS is now pretty popular as the cms "Lite" choice - thanks in no small part to your multilevel menu methinks Smile Speaking of which - I can't seem to get the animation effect to work, I must be missing something. Now, if only there was some documentation...

;P

A
bigbanghq Wrote:Hej! Zegnat - no, Swedes are exempt, they speak better English than most Brits I know…
I’m not even a Swede, in fact, Swedish is my third language. I’m drowning in languages here.

bigbanghq Wrote:I personally want to start doing screencasts because clients can't read Wink
I actually talked about screencasts (and maybe an odd podcast) with Internet54 yesterday, seems like a nice idea.

Also, there are people like me who could have fun creating more complex templates once we 'get' the plugins and could incorporate them more easily - one of the reasons I like GS is because I'm really more of a front-end kinda guy Smile

bigbanghq Wrote:Thanks in no small part to your multilevel menu methinks Smile Speaking of which – I can’t seem to get the animation effect to work, I must be missing something. Now, how if only there was some documentation…
I wish I could see how many people were actually using my menu system. My documentation wouldn’t have helped you there, the plugin is made for front-end developers, it gives you a different list structure but any animations will have to be handled by the theme with CSS transitions or Javascript. — But let’s get ontopic here, if you need help with the navigation just send me a message.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at Z:\home\get3.ru\www\admin\loadtab.php:31) in Z:\home\get3.ru\www\plugins\squareit-simple-polls.php on line 195
anyone completed this plugin?
Oleg06 Wrote:anyone completed this plugin?

People didn't show too much interest in the plugin.. so I stopped development.
If I get some free time.. I'll try to get it to a stable point
- Julian

In Russia the people love to vote Smile
Julian.

I just read the post about people not showing much interest in this plug in.
Sorry about that. I think it's awesome and the option to use it in the sidebar was very important to me.

In those sites where two way communication is important, this plug in would be very valuable.

I can't believe that you didn't get the response you desired.

peace.

homershines
homershines Wrote:Julian.

I just read the post about people not showing much interest in this plug in.
Sorry about that. I think it's awesome and the option to use it in the sidebar was very important to me.

In those sites where two way communication is important, this plug in would be very valuable.

I can't believe that you didn't get the response you desired.

peace.

homershines

I've done some improvements since that comment (google code repo). It's nice to hear some feedback, and that you guys are expecting more development on it. The reality is that the gallery plugin i created a lot more people are using it, and I'm putting out more resources to that one. It's a little tough to maintain multiple plugins at a time. But I will try to at least get it to a stable point
- Julian

Thanks.

I found another nice poll script recently.
http://codefuture.co.uk/projects/cf_polling/
I like it as much as Zoki Poll, but this one is quicker to set up.

Looking forward to whatever you work on. I'm sure there are others who will need it as well.

Peace.

homershines
Problem with the poll. If the vote/poll is POSTed it won't set the cookie for some kind of reason. When i take the
Code:
setcookie('squareit_poll', $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], time()+3600);
out of the function it sets the cookie so why doesn't it work inside the function? Help anyone?

Greets