Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blank screen
Hello. After copying all files to my web space, setting /data to 755, and opening my address in a browser, the browser address seems to correctly, automatically re-point to .../admin/install.php, but all I get is a totally blank screen. View-source in the browser is even totally empty. I have tried this in IE7 and Chrome, with the exact same results.
PHP is version 5.1.6.
I look through the Forums, but can't seem to find anything similar.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? What should I look for?
Many thanks.
Could you enable debugging and see whether it shows any errors? It’s hard to figure out what’s gone wrong from an empty page ;-)
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Thank you Zegnat,
After uncommenting that line, here is what I get:

Code:
Notice: Undefined variable: SITEURL in /pathtowebsite/admin/inc/common.php on line 87

Notice: Undefined variable: SITENAME in /pathtowebsite/admin/inc/common.php on line 90

Notice: Undefined variable: LANG in /pathtowebsite/admin/inc/common.php on line 108

Notice: Use of undefined constant PATHINFO_FILENAME - assumed 'PATHINFO_FILENAME' in /pathtowebsite/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Warning: pathinfo() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /pathtowebsite/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Notice: Use of undefined constant PATHINFO_FILENAME - assumed 'PATHINFO_FILENAME' in /pathtowebsite/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Warning: pathinfo() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /pathtowebsite/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /pathtowebsite/admin/install.php on line 53

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /pathtowebsite/admin/install.php on line 53

This is followed by one more interesting message inside the GetSimple Installation box:

Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function json_decode() in /var/www/vhosts/stiegnet.com/httpdocs/admin/install.php on line 175

Do you see any hints or suggestions in there that I could try?
Thank you again.
GetSimple uses the function json_decode() in 3 different places and this function has only been bundled with PHP since 5.2.0.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, as it means we’ll have to update the requirements for running GetSimple or bundle our own json_decode() wit GetSimple to make it compatible with older versions of PHP 5 again.

I’m afraid none of that will help you much for now, unless you’re able to update your version of PHP.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Zegnåt Wrote:I’m afraid none of that will help you much for now
Strike that, get your fix here: Living up to the facts, get GS to work under PHP 5.2 again!
Thank you. I have updated my basic.php and will see how it works.
YOU put so much effort on that. =)
Zegnåt Wrote:Could you enable debugging and see whether it shows any errors? It’s hard to figure out what’s gone wrong from an empty page ;-)
Clarification: This is occurring on attempt to install.
I am having a similar problem with a site I'm working on. I turned on debugging and I saw that I was getting several error regarding permission setting of the data and backups directories. I chmod these to 777 and these errors have gone away, but now I'm still getting the following errors.

Code:
Warning: unlink(/var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/install.php) [function.unlink]: Permission denied in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/inc/common.php on line 135

Warning: unlink(/var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/setup.php) [function.unlink]: Permission denied in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/inc/common.php on line 140

Notice: Use of undefined constant PATHINFO_FILENAME - assumed 'PATHINFO_FILENAME' in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Warning: pathinfo() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Notice: Use of undefined constant PATHINFO_FILENAME - assumed 'PATHINFO_FILENAME' in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Warning: pathinfo() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/inc/plugin_functions.php on line 26

Notice: Constant GSIMAGEWIDTH already defined in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/gsconfig.php on line 16

Notice: Constant GSDEBUG already defined in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/gsconfig.php on line 19

Fatal error: Call to undefined function dom_import_simplexml() in /var/www/html/mydomain.com/admin/inc/basic.php on line 111

It seems this may not be a chmod issue and more likely a chown issue instead. I have worked with the server admin extensively, and he has even granted me root access to attempt to troubleshoot, but everthing I try I get the same thing.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Zegnåt Wrote:GetSimple uses the function json_decode() in 3 different places and this function has only been bundled with PHP since 5.2.0.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, as it means we’ll have to update the requirements for running GetSimple or bundle our own json_decode() wit GetSimple to make it compatible with older versions of PHP 5 again.

I’m afraid none of that will help you much for now, unless you’re able to update your version of PHP.

It also uses pathinfo() with PATHINFO_FILENAME constant which is also only available since 5.2
http://php.net/manual/en/function.pathinfo.php
The fact you’re not allowed to use unlink is a little weird. This means that, even though you put the CHMOD to 777, you’re still not allowed to remove files from the server…

I’ll check the pathinfo() function call when I get back home.
I installed getsimple-r174 on a HP Server running Fedora 11, Apache, and PHP Version 5.2.13. Like fstieglitz I get a totally blank screen. Turning debug on I get the following debug trace:
Code:
Notice: Undefined variable: SITEURL in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 87
Notice: Undefined variable: SITENAME in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 90
Notice: Undefined variable: LANG in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 108
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 53
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 58
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 53
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 58
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/other/logs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/other/logs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/uploads/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/uploads/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/thumbs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/data/thumbs/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/other/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/pages/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/zip/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 54
Warning: copy(/var/www/html/GS/backups/zip/tmp.tmp) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/GS/admin/install.php on line 59
Fatal error: Call to undefined function dom_import_simplexml() in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/basic.php on line 125
I assume the error is in th last like. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong?
RWBradley Wrote:
Code:
Notice: Undefined variable: SITEURL in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 87
Notice: Undefined variable: SITENAME in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 90
Notice: Undefined variable: LANG in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 108
I though I had those notices fixed, thanks for pointing them out to me again.

RWBradley Wrote:
Code:
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in … on line #
Warning: copy(…) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in … on line #
These tell you the installation is not allowed to CHMOD or even copy certain files. Are all your folders CHMODed right so it has access to the temporary files?

RWBradley Wrote:
Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function dom_import_simplexml() in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/basic.php on line 125
I assume the error is in the last line. Does anyone have any idea what’s wrong?
It seems your server does not have the PHP 5 function dom_import_simplexml. It might be that either SimpleXML or the DOM API are not enabled on your server. You should be able to check that by looking through your PHP setting, eg. by using phpinfo().
Good morning thak you for response. Over last evening I got by a number of errors, still learning Linux also. According to my phpinfo output DOM/XML, libXML, and SimpleXML are enabled. I'm down to this now.
Code:
Strict Standards: main() [function.main]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 87
Strict Standards: main() [function.main]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/common.php on line 90
Fatal error: Call to undefined method SimpleXMLElement::appendChild() in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/basic.php on line 128
If we ignore the Strict Standards and the Notice all there is left is another Fatal error.

RWBradley Wrote:
Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method SimpleXMLElement::appendChild() in /var/www/html/GS/admin/inc/basic.php on line 128

This time it’s not a DOM function but one of the functions included in SimpleXML. SimpleXMLElement::appendChild() is included in PHP since version 5.1.3. Your PHP version is newer and SimpleXML is enabled I can’t see any reason for the fatal error.
Zegnat - reloaded r178 works fine - thanks for your assistance