Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED Permissions error when trying to Edit components
Hi, I'm trying to set up GetSimple for my wife to edit her own web pages. I generally just write my own for my site in an html editor and ftp up, but I wanted something she would find easy to use and update herself.

I've installed GetSmple on my website and her working directory is named Cheryl.

When she tries to Edit Components > Add component > "Header-Index" and hits save component, she gets "You don't have permission to access /Cheryl/admin/component.php on the server.

In an attempt to get her saving this one particular change, /Cheryl/admin permission is now 777, and components.php is 666.

She still can't save her addition.

Any help would be appreciated.
I doubt its the component.php with the permission error.

its probably components.xml file

What is the exact error message in error log or with debugging on ?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
and what does health check say?
It is also possible your host is generating this error by blocking security rules in mod_sec
Thank you Shawn. Last night we ran into a couple of other problems when experimenting with permissions so deleted the whole program, saving the data folder and re-loaded GetSimple fresh, with original permissions.

Then as a workaround for Cheryl's problem, we just ftp'd the file she wanted to change, edited it locally and uploaded it again, which worked.

However, it would be better to be able to use the program as intended, so I've turned on debug mode and will try later to retrace steps to get the error message. I'll post the debug output here.

Also, the health check showed everything as "OK". (we are using GS 3.3.3).

There are no issues with normal website text editing in GS.

Cheryl/data/other/components.xml permissions is presently set to 755.
Check your hosts error log, i am betting the code you are uploading is being detected as a xss injection.
FYI browsers also do reflected xss blocking now, so check browser console also.

normally you never want a form submission to be echoed back in code as this can be an attack, but that exactly is what we want to do for a cms.
(2014-09-26, 06:55:27)shawn_a Wrote: Check your hosts error log, i am betting the code you are uploading is being detected as a xss injection.
FYI browsers also do reflected xss blocking now, so check browser console also.

normally you never want a form submission to be echoed back in code as this can be an attack, but that exactly is what we want to do for a cms.

Shawn, I wasn't able to find any applicable errors in the error log for the site. Debug mode showed non-fatal messages.

In retrying the exact steps to produce the issue tonight, we did not get an error and the component was saved. I don't know what changed, other than deleting and reinstalling GetSimple. Maybe when it FTP'd up the first time there was an error?

I'm sorry not to have better answers for you, Shawn, but appreciate your quick posts trying to help. It seems to be working well now.