Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUESTION How do I? Display a list of items
I am working on a site for a small grocery store. We don't want an ecommerce set up, but we do want to be able to have long lists of items in stock. The client can export lists and edit in Excel fairly easily. I need the next step of the process to be simpler than what I have been doing for my client to be able to keep the site updated.

I need tabular data displayed e.g.
item name unit cost

I have not found a way to insert tabular data other than writing the html and pasting it in the source view. The client will not be able to do this.

Ideally I would like the client to be able to copy and paste columns and rows directly from Excel into the text editor. I am using GS 3.3.3. I am using the html editor which is CKeditor I believe.

Is there a plug in I have not found that enables this, or is there a way to read an xml file to display as tabular data?

Any suggestions or links to related threads will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sherri
I have experienced this problem of site owners who want to update booking calendars or monthly activity rotas when either they aren't or the CKEditor is not up to the task. If they are using Excel or Word already a simple solution is to save the file via excel online to a free onedrive account and embed the Excel file in the site, so that updates are always reflected on the webpage.

You can do the same thing with google docs. It isn't necessarily the neatest way but formatting excel files to make html tables is a task nobody wants to do.
(2014-11-30, 09:57:19)Timbow Wrote: I have experienced this problem of site owners who want to update booking calendars or monthly activity rotas when either they aren't or the CKEditor is not up to the task. If they are using Excel or Word already a simple solution is to save the file via excel online to a free onedrive account and embed the Excel file in the site, so that updates are always reflected on the webpage.

You can do the same thing with google docs. It isn't necessarily the neatest way but formatting excel files to make html tables is a task nobody wants to do.

Thank you so much for the heads up. I was able to successfully copy and paste from Excel using the Advanced editor options and the Paste from Word Button. I have been having a heck of a time with CKeditor because the icons are greyed out and all my many attempts to fix this using the information in the Wiki and the various threads on the subject of skins still have not proved successful. So I have an editor with greyed out icons. Undecided

Very frustrating. Plus I have spent 4+ hours trying and testing various things to fix this. I need to have a back end that is client friendly. I'm very worried with this particular client. I don't want the back end to be a pain for them. That's why I love Get Simple darn it.
Hey! I want to say a special thank you for your theme Metrical which I am using for this site TimBow! You can see it in development here : http:// www . medbake .com/index.php

I added spaces to keep it out of the searches.
This seems to work fine. Not too difficult:

http://tableizer.journalistopia.com/

Select cels in excel, copy, paste in window on Tableizer. Press button Tableize it!. Copy code, paste in source view of GS page editor. That's it.

I can understand that it may still be too difficult for some clients, but it is actually only copying and pressing some buttons.
(2014-11-30, 14:34:03)sarnaiz Wrote: I have been having a heck of a time with CKeditor because the icons are greyed out and all my many attempts to fix this using the information in the Wiki and the various threads on the subject of skins still have not proved successful. So I have an editor with greyed out icons. Undecided

Maybe you can best make a seperate thread about this issue.
(2014-12-01, 20:41:59)datiswous Wrote: This seems to work fine. Not too difficult:

http://tableizer.journalistopia.com/

Select cels in excel, copy, paste in window on Tableizer. Press button Tableize it!. Copy code, paste in source view of GS page editor. That's it.

I can understand that it may still be too difficult for some clients, but it is actually only copying and pressing some buttons.

I was able to get the copy and paste form excel to work using the advanced config with Paste From Word.

I really appreciate the link to the cool Tableizer! Thank you.
All you have to do to fix the grey icons is install a new skin
or probably just remove
config.skin = 'getsimple';
from your config.js file

Ideally since you won't find skins for cke 3.x just switch to the cke 4.3 version of stable cke_patch, problem solved.

its on the download page

And you can use new plugins.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2014-12-06, 07:13:31)shawn_a Wrote: Ideally since you won't find skins for cke 3.x just switch to the cke 4.3 version of stable cke_patch, problem solved.

What exactly can break plugins with Cke 4.3?
There have been no reports that I know of
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix