Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SEO help
I reworked some stuff to try to increase our seo months ago, and some of it has worked for certain keywords.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xml+cms&...2&ie=UTF-8

But can any help me figure out how to get queries like this to point to the home page and not about page?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
I suppose the word "xml" should be somewhere in the body and/or in the <title> of the home page, not only in the meta desc.
Thats what I figured, but surely there is a way for google to know entrance pages also, not exactly canonical but similar?

I reworked the front page at one point but i think my changes were lost after moron jacked our site up.
Higher priority in the Sitemap for the home page than for the rest of pages maybe?
I wonder if this start/ path causes google to not show this as a subpage of homepage.
I never understood that start/ subpath, seems silly.
I am pretty sure the index page has too little content (text) to ever score highly in google. I don't know if that matters much if there is good content on the other pages.
I guess we should see what people do for splash pages since it is similar landing page.
Not sure if there is a short term solution than just redoing it and adding content to it.

Ill just throw some strong statements on there I guess.

'No Database' etc
Get Simple seems to have pretty good SEO imo.

Really it comes down to how well a site answers a particular phrase when a person types it in. Are you just looking to rank for specific keywords? Adding certain terms that people look for such as "no database" on the frontpage would be smart.

My recommendations:
  • Keep these forums active, user generated content is SEO gold
  • Work with as many hosting companies as you can
  • Try to be active in other web communities
  • Post tutorials, tips, advice, sites examples etc. in the Get Simple Blog with a good keyword mix
  • Make tutorial videos
  • Ask for links here
This site should be responsive, ie works on mobiles and tablets. That would really help SEO.
Responsive has no effect on seo.
I am asking for specific practical changes.
Responsive will have an effect on SEO even if it hasn't been all that relevant so far. google is beginning to tag sites as 'mobile friendly' or not:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...pages.html
(2014-12-21, 07:49:20)Timbow Wrote: Responsive will have an effect on SEO even if it hasn't been all that relevant so far.

This is true. The same goes for SSL/TLS, like it or not, with the Big G's push for 'security' (sic), whether it's necessary or not.

To the original post, it does illustrate (as Carlos said) that meta data is apparently not very important for three-letter search terms – too easy to stuff the meta, I suppose. Having said that, what part of GS's target market is going to search on 'xml cms'? Indeed, I had some idea of what I was looking for when I first found GS, but 'xml' was nowhere in my Googling.

'"flat-file"|"no-database" cms' are terms more likely to be used by that mythical target market, I suggest, and Google eventually shows get-simple.info halfway down page two (for me), where those search terms are pulled from meta.

TL;DR: more descriptive content => better search results.

Edit: spelling
--
Nick.
Yeah I think i really just need to redo the slideshows, and the panels at the bottom to add better seo , and less describing features pointlessly, although without actual content on that page i don't know how much it would help. I just would like the home page to be higher rated than about page, that is all i really asked.
Contents of the About page could be moved to the home (bottom of page maybe), and About redirected to index.
(2014-12-21, 07:49:20)Timbow Wrote: Responsive will have an effect on SEO even if it hasn't been all that relevant so far. google is beginning to tag sites as 'mobile friendly' or not:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...pages.html

Exactly! People are doing a lot more searching on tablets and mobiles and Google is aware of it.