Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GSgallery 2.0 - Simple Image Gallery Plugin (Square It)
Juliancc: are you still working on S.I.G ?
It's an awesome plugin for someone who edit the site content. But somewhat horrind for webmasters&webdevelopers. I'd like to point couple things which could be improved

1. SIG shouldn't hook links to css&js files into get_header(); function. It completely messes up xhtml code semantics. Simplifying the output looked like this:
meta description
meta keywords
meta generator
SIG js
SIG css
SIG <script>
my css
my js
my <script>
It would be nice to have dedicated SIG function to paste into template.
I understand that this plugin is hooked toget_header(); function, because all the links and scripts are being added to <header> only when an image gallery is added to a page. But I feel it can be done other way.

2. SIG contains too many files. I don't understand why there have to be 2 plugins ( loadtab&gallery, and couple php files for loadtab), why it has to create own thumbnails, when GS does the same after uploading images.

3. Is it possible to store all data in one xml file, instead of 1 gallery = 1 xml file ?

4. I didn't test ckfinder yet, but will there be compatibility issues between SIG and CKfinder ?

5. how about adding couple effects, which could be managed (switched) in admin panel ?
I've recently added jquery fancybox.net img displaying effects, but it's only a solution for websites with few images.

6. I had some horrid experiences with SIG's css. I accidentally looked inside embedded js script, whose task was to position the thumbnail vertically. This option should be changeable as well - I mean the user should have the possibility to set how the thumbnails are being shown (centered, at the bottom, at the top) of thumbnail container.

7. Zegnåt told me that SIG filters the output, and can be used only inside get_page_content(); area.
This makes it unusable with plugins such as customfield. I didn't test it, but I think it doesn't even work inside components.

I think that's all I've noticed testing SIG. Still easy to install and use for a content editor
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad

Messages In This Thread
GSgallery 2.0 - Simple Image Gallery Plugin (Square It) - by yojoe - 2010-07-03, 08:56:12