Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GSgallery 2.0 - Simple Image Gallery Plugin (Square It)
yojoe Wrote:Juliancc: are you still working on S.I.G ?

Yes.

yojoe Wrote:It's an awesome plugin for someone who edit the site content. But somewhat horrind for webmasters&webdevelopers. I'd like to point couple things which could be improved

1. SIG shouldn't hook links to css&js files into get_header(); function. It completely messes up xhtml code semantics. Simplifying the output looked like this:
meta description
meta keywords
meta generator
SIG js
SIG css
SIG <script>
my css
my js
my <script>
It would be nice to have dedicated SIG function to paste into template.
I understand that this plugin is hooked toget_header(); function, because all the links and scripts are being added to <header> only when an image gallery is added to a page. But I feel it can be done other way.

The plugin is intended for any type of audience. It's meant to be simple, and easy to use. I do understand your point, but I will no make changes regarding this.

yojoe Wrote:2. SIG contains too many files. I don't understand why there have to be 2 plugins ( loadtab&gallery, and couple php files for loadtab), why it has to create own thumbnails, when GS does the same after uploading images.

At the time, there was no easy way to make the plugin (SIG) attach itself to a tab, so I decided to create another plugin that could be used by the community that allows you to hook into the tabs of get simple. But this could change in the future, if the Original developers allow for implementation of plugins, just the way I did with tabloader.

Regarding the images, I create additional images based on the size of the thumbs. I felt that the original thumbs created by GetSimple were to small. Also I wanted to give in the future the ability for the users to change the size of the thumbs.

yojoe Wrote:3. Is it possible to store all data in one xml file, instead of 1 gallery = 1 xml file ?
Yes, but again, do not see an added benefit to doing that at the moment. Since most users will load only one gallery per page. Loading a bigger file and traversing the xml file could take more time in the FRONT-END.

yojoe Wrote:4. I didn't test ckfinder yet, but will there be compatibility issues between SIG and CKfinder ?
Don't know I have not tested this.

yojoe Wrote:5. how about adding couple effects, which could be managed (switched) in admin panel ?
I've recently added jquery fancybox.net img displaying effects, but it's only a solution for websites with few images.
Doing this in the next version, where users can turn on different plugins that will turn their galleries into more interactive galleries.

yojoe Wrote:6. I had some horrid experiences with SIG's css. I accidentally looked inside embedded js script, whose task was to position the thumbnail vertically. This option should be changeable as well - I mean the user should have the possibility to set how the thumbnails are being shown (centered, at the bottom, at the top) of thumbnail container.
True, I've been looking at changing this. But it has not been a priority as of now.

yojoe Wrote:7. Zegnåt told me that SIG filters the output, and can be used only inside get_page_content(); area.
This makes it unusable with plugins such as customfield. I didn't test it, but I think it doesn't even work inside components.

This is done.. I just have not committed this, as I've been testing it myself/

yojoe Wrote:I think that's all I've noticed testing SIG. Still easy to install and use for a content editor

Thanks for all your comments/questions. Sorry to hear that you've had a HORRID experience, but you are always welcome to fork SIG and make changes according to your needs. Just remember to give me credit for the original version. Smile
- Julian

My GetSimple Plugins: Simple Image Gallery | TweetMeme reTweet Button

Messages In This Thread
GSgallery 2.0 - Simple Image Gallery Plugin (Square It) - by juliancc - 2010-07-06, 10:39:06