Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOLVED File uploads from the backend fail with files > 5 kb
Question 
In the GS backend's file tab, I cannot upload files of more than a couple of kilobytes (limit seems to be somewhere around 5 kb). This is even though I have set the following values in my /etc/php5/apache2filter/php.ini:

Code:
file_uploads = On
upload_max_filesize = 50M
max_file_uploads = 20
max_execution_time = 180
max_input_time = 300
memory_limit = 256M
post_max_size = 60M

Of course, I have restarted apache after all changes I tried. (as root: service apache2 restart)
I have frequently checked with <?PHP phpinfo (); ?> that the settings I made are actually active.

But the size limit persists.
Yesterday I accidently found, that the same limit applies in a local drupal test installation (which has been lying around for much longer, and I know it used to work with larger file there), so I assume it is some global settings problem of either php or apache.

I have, too, done a diff with the original php.ini template of package php5-common ( /usr/share/php5/php.ini-production, and the only differences are in the lines quoted above. I am at a loss.

• GS 3.3.4 is running on my local pc
  • using the define('GSNOUPLOADIFY', 1) option in gsconfig.php
  • System: Debian testing
  • apache2: 2.4.10-9
  • PHP5: 5.6.4+dfsg-1
(2015-01-12, 17:31:16)WerWieWas Wrote: ... /etc/php5/apache2filter/php.ini:

You seem to have everything in place. Is there a reason for running Apache with mod-apache2filter instead of mod-php5? (Sorry if that's Apache 2.4 specific – I haven't worked with that version.)

Is it coincidence that you have set a limit of 50M but you are seeing an actual limit of 5k?
--
Nick.
Are you sure you restarted apache, perhaps something is not applying.
seems correct.

perhaps one of our scripts it setting its own limits?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2015-01-15, 23:49:54)shawn_a Wrote: Are you sure you restarted apache, perhaps something is not applying.
seems correct.

perhaps one of our scripts it setting its own limits?

Hi Shawn.

Yes I am sure I did restart. I have always checked with phpinfo() that the changes I made took effect.
Hi Hameau.

Quote:Is it coincidence that you have set a limit of 50M but you are seeing an actual limit of 5k?

Rather a coincidence: When I started, I had default values set in the php.ini (e.g. 2MB max size for uploads, etc.). Then I increased values according to what I found on the net. The limit where uploads failed remained the same, approx. 5kb.

Quote:Is there a reason for running Apache with mod-apache2filter instead of mod-php5? (Sorry if that's Apache 2.4 specific – I haven't worked with that version.)

This question led me to the solution of my problem: Actually, I vaguely remember wondering in december why I had an empty /etc/php5/apache2 folder and a php.ini in /etc/php5/apache2filter. I have been testing CMSs for my own dormant website on and off for quite a while, starting again in December, this time looking for a specific solution for two small websites where I want a friend and a non-profit to be able to edit their own websites without any HTML/CSS/PHP knowledge and without being IT pros. I guess there must once have been some CMS that asked for php5filter. - The simple solution was:
  • remove libapache2-mod-php5filter
  • install libapache2-mod-php5

I checked without setting up any php.ini at first, right after exiting aptitude.
Uploading files worked nicely (default limit 2MB).
Then I copied my php.ini to /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini, did a

service apache2 restart

for the changes to take effect, checked with phpinfo(); - and voilà: I can upload larger files again (so far, the largest I tried was a couple of MB, but I trust my settings and mod-php now. Big Grin

Thank you for your help!