Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROBLEM customizing theme
Hi guys. I'm customizing the fantastic Iridium theme (and yes, I've tried posing my question to its creator, but they haven't responded in days and I need this done asap) and I'm having trouble understanding why I'm having problems pruning the template down to my needs. I've managed to inelegantly hide the navbar and title through css, and comment out the footer and featured content sections without much fuss. But this...

Namely, the theme supports this feature:
Quote:Index page ('index' slug) has a bigger head banner automatically, no need to have a separate template.
I want them uniform across the site, and the kind developer already answered that question beforehand:

Quote:You need to change line 16 in template files (template.php, template-no-sidebar.php and template-sidebar-left.php)
Code:
<body id="<?php get_page_slug(); ?>" <?php if (return_page_slug()=='index') echo 'class="homepage"'; ?>>

If you want a big banner on all pages, change it to:
Code:
<body id="<?php get_page_slug(); ?>" class="homepage">

If you want a smaller banner on all pages, change it to:
Code:
<body id="<?php get_page_slug(); ?>">

However, no matter what I did and how I followed the instructions, I can't get it to show the smaller versions. The sad thing is that I was yesterday trying to make them all be as big as the index one and it also wouldn't work. Then all of a sudden it did. Now I need all of them small, or even non-existent. Sad

Regarding removal of the entire header area, I've even tried doing that, but I'm only moderately code-literate, so I've merely commented out the <header> sections in the main template and this resulted in absolutely nothing happening. How can that be? Where does the site get the header info if I delete the entire <header> tag from the index.php? If this was pure html/css I wouldn't be having this problem, I feel. SO please help me understand how to solve this.

Worth noting, Iridium is all in php hooks, so all functionality is in separate files, several css for responsiveness, head, footer, feature content are separate php files etc.
hmm ok I dont know how old this theme is, but this code is absolutely unnecessary.

since the body already has the slug id of index then the css should just target that.
no clue why you even need a class for homepage there.

I would focus on the css not bother changing code. That is the whole point of css.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
.homepage #header {
padding: 15em 0em;
}

can you not just override this rule in style desktop ?

fyi this is how you style elements on index specially , not using code.
body#index #header
Shawn, thanks for your reply. I gave up and will be rebuilding the site in WP. I just can't be bothered to understand something that I can't grasp the logic of. It's too advanced for my understanding of php apparently and I can't untangle myself. I'll revisit Simple when I have more time for a project.

Thank you for your support in all of my topics, man.
Its just css. you should have a basic grasp of css if you are making a website.

this problem could have been solved by just removing

Code:
.homepage #header {
padding: 15em 0em;
}

from the css file.

also check tutorials on using your browsers inspect function, and develop modes.
(2015-02-02, 02:19:53)Shooree Wrote: Shawn, thanks for your reply. I gave up and will be rebuilding the site in WP. I just can't be bothered to understand something that I can't grasp the logic of. It's too advanced for my understanding of php apparently and I can't untangle myself. I'll revisit Simple when I have more time for a project.

Thank you for your support in all of my topics, man.

Don't!!! WP is the devil. I just finished developing a website in WP, and man I missed my good old GS.

Your problem is not a problem!!! You already got the answer! It's just a simple line you should change in the CSS man... If you don't want to mess with CSS, WP could be real hell... I had to write CSS even for paid themes for WP. If you think you'll get around CSS with WP, you're wrong... This is an advice from experience... And a friendly advise...

No matter what you choose (but I'd choose GS), I wish you all the best.