Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contact Page - Anti Spam
Greetings All

Ok from the docs

I am getting a bit confused by this:
Quote:There is input field called "pot". This is hopefully a working CAPTCHA. The set_contact_page() function spits out "display:none" css style to make it hidden. I found that making the input field hidden instead didn't deter the spammers as much.

Does this mean the captcha is hidden, I personally would like to see it as i have had issues with spam in the past, and would like some sort of antispam solution.

I noticed there was a contact form plugin that used questions, but it had issues does anyone know if they have been fixed?
does anyone know where the link to it is as i can't seem to find it

Thanks
morgenmuffel Wrote:
Quote:There is input field called "pot". This is hopefully a working CAPTCHA. The set_contact_page() function spits out "display:none" css style to make it hidden. I found that making the input field hidden instead didn't deter the spammers as much.

Does this mean the captcha is hidden, I personally would like to see it as i have had issues with spam in the past, and would like some sort of antispam solution.
It’s a CAPTCHA using the honey pot technique. In short this means you add a field to the contact form that you hide for everyone, but because spam crawlers that look only at the HTML see the field they will fill it in. The contact form just checks and doesn’t send any email when the field is filled, assuming only bots will put text there.

So it shouldn’t be visible.

morgenmuffel Wrote:I noticed there was a contact form plugin that used questions, but it had issues does anyone know if they have been fixed?
does anyone know where the link to it is as i can't seem to find it
In the plugin forum you can find Simple Contact Plugin. It supports questions but I don’t think all bugs are fixed yet…
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
aha very cunning, I'll definitely use that then, and if it doesn't deter the spammers i'll look at the question and answer one
Zegnåt Wrote:So it shouldn’t be visible.
This honeypot is perfect for me. But what if it's not hidden on my contact page?
xd1936 Wrote:
Zegnåt Wrote:So it shouldn’t be visible.
This honeypot is perfect for me. But what if it's not hidden on my contact page?

A link to the page would help, and what browser you are using

unless you have altered something on the page, it should be hidden thats what the "display:none" does
Sorry. I'm trying to get the contact page on http://healthylivingmassage.net going, but on two different themes, it leaves the box sitting intact.
yep you've botched it, you need to actually create and edit a contact template file for your theme, not through the online editor (I think) which is what I believe you have done

in the basic theme there is a contact template that already has this set up.

Basically what you need to do is make a copy of your template file
Stored at yoursite/theme/your-theme/template.php
and call it
yoursite/theme/your-theme/contact.php

and then paste the form section (as shown on this page) into it in the appropriate part

http://get-simple.info/docs/howto-contact-form

You need to do the above in notepad or an html editor do not do it in the online editor, thats only for content
Ooooh. I totally misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification!