Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
multilingual site
http://rpolistina.nl

My first multilingual site, based on a simple non-responsive layout. GS rocks & I18N lib is awesome! Main features:

* some eye candy
* nanoslider extended with image file listing
* nanoslider extended with caption file listing
* I18N / nano adapted to enable multi language captions
* my translations

Now hoping for the customer to add some more content, e.g. some nice guitars Smile
Any particly reason it's not responsive/fluid?
(2015-03-11, 02:58:05)datiswous Wrote: Any particly reason it's not responsive/fluid?

Err, not really. Just the old way of going about it, I guess. My main concern was to extend the CMS part to further simplify adding content. For my own site, I recently used a bootstrap-based theme and admittedly it works quite nicely. http://gillesvaneeden.nl
(2015-03-11, 19:17:19)gilles Wrote:
(2015-03-11, 02:58:05)datiswous Wrote: Any particly reason it's not responsive/fluid?

Err, not really. Just the old way of going about it, I guess. My main concern was to extend the CMS part to further simplify adding content. For my own site, I recently used a bootstrap-based theme and admittedly it works quite nicely. http://gillesvaneeden.nl

I'm personally not a big fan of (most) Bootstrap based designs. For some reason a lot of these designs look rougly the same, so if you saw one you saw all (that shouldn't be the purpose of a framework). Also, they don't scale well for bigger screens i.m.o.

But anyway, I think you did a good job with these sites.
(2015-03-11, 21:01:23)datiswous Wrote: I'm personally not a big fan of (most) Bootstrap based designs. For some reason a lot of these designs look rougly the same, so if you saw one you saw all (that shouldn't be the purpose of a framework). Also, they don't scale well for bigger screens i.m.o.

But anyway, I think you did a good job with these sites.

Thanks for your comments. I would tend to agree with your criticism of a certain type of website, but one has to start somewhere Smile I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time reinventing the wheel for a change. I did an elaborate front-end design some years ago which I still think is quite nice. No spectacular eye candy, but lots of small things that make it different. However, it was ** A HUGE AMOUNT ** of work getting all the details right.

The customer does have a unique presentation, however. Maybe some day I'll work out a way to bootstrapify that site.
Ah that website is indeed something special.

BTW. What was you motivation behind choosing Bootstrap as framework instead of some of the other frameworks?
Just curious.
Nice work, gilles!

You don't need bootstrap to make this site minimally enough responsive.
All you need to do is to remove fixed width #main. (You may also want to set margin-right for 5-10px and rebuild the header)

In case you wish to stay fixed-width, I would recommend setting the header width fixed also. The language select buttons are positioned at right, faaaar away from the main content.

Anyway, these are very small issues, the site is great and obviously made with love (especially love the strings and picks in the menu)
(2015-03-15, 05:12:55)datiswous Wrote: Ah that website is indeed something special.

BTW. What was you motivation behind choosing Bootstrap as framework instead of some of the other frameworks?
Just curious.

Actually, I just went for the Grill theme - which incorporates bootstrap. I will certainly look into alternatives for my next project.
(2015-03-16, 03:42:26)vallhund Wrote: Nice work, gilles!

You don't need bootstrap to make this site minimally enough responsive.
All you need to do is to remove fixed width #main. (You may also want to set margin-right for 5-10px and rebuild the header)

In case you wish to stay fixed-width, I would recommend setting the header width fixed also. The language select buttons are positioned at right, faaaar away from the main content.

Anyway, these are very small issues, the site is great and obviously made with love (especially love the strings and picks in the menu)

Thank for the kind words, vallhund, and thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it someday.