Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Author Website using Get Simple
I really appreciate the community here and the help I've received over the years. I also appreciate all the theme and plug in developers and donate as often as possible.

This site is using the responsive theme Elegance.

http://dianehaworth.com/

I do have one request that people developing themes populate the demos with images that are less sexual. It's a bit disconcerting if I show my clients themes with such images in a work environment. It may not be something people think about since so many developers are men, plus who doesn't appreciate beautiful women in general? But it is not a professional environment for work and sometimes (on other sites like themeforest) it can feel down right distressing because of the imagery. I work with a lot of conservative organizations and I just want to put this out there to think of your fellow female developers and their clients. If you are kind enough to create a theme to share, please go one more step and make the imagery less sexual for the demos.

I've had male clients think that it's an invitation to make overtures or sexual comments when they see these images. (The immature ones obviously) It creates the wrong vibe when we need to focus on being creative and solving communication issues.

I'll hop off the soapbox now. :-)

Sherri
(2015-04-10, 11:11:27)sarnaiz Wrote: I really appreciate the community here and the help I've received over the years. I also appreciate all the theme and plug in developers and donate as often as possible.

This site is using the responsive theme Elegance.

http://dianehaworth.com/

I do have one request that people developing themes populate the demos with images that are less sexual. It's a bit disconcerting if I show my clients themes with such images in a work environment. It may not be something people think about since so many developers are men, plus who doesn't appreciate beautiful women in general? But it is not a professional environment for work and sometimes (on other sites like themeforest) it can feel down right distressing because of the imagery. I work with a lot of conservative organizations and I just want to put this out there to think of your fellow female developers and their clients. If you are kind enough to create a theme to share, please go one more step and make the imagery less sexual for the demos.

I've had male clients think that it's an invitation to make overtures or sexual comments when they see these images. (The immature ones obviously) It creates the wrong vibe when we need to focus on being creative and solving communication issues.

I'll hop off the soapbox now. :-)

Sherri

understand your pain. but most theme developers will pull photography that often have no attributed license, or will deliver the theme without images or blurred photography. Suggest you switch out and place your images beforehand. I minor bit of work. My work-flow is to select the stock photo comps which best reflects what i want to say and deliver to client for viewing.
you should probably run your own demos
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
It's a very good thing that GS is so international, but yes it has its down sides and this is one of them. We don't all share the same values and standards of taste. I don't mean that in an anglo-saxon-superior way, I have been totally disgusted by american 'random' images of guns and military hardware sometimes (not here). C'est la vie in a way.
I was planning on adding a demo site to github, anyone want to submit some stuff ?
Basic site structure examples, some components.

Some utf-8 cryllic pages
Some stock images
etc

I already have some stuff like this for testing, but most of it is technical or lorem, not really good for demos.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
[Image: i-love-gs.jpg]

Found this by mistake. GS= a Turkish football club maybe?
I had some alternative default content which was going to go with a proposal for new default theme for v4.0 which I shelved a while ago. It looked like this:

(2015-05-16, 01:09:36)shawn_a Wrote: you should probably run your own demos

I do have my own demo site, but I was referring to themes. Plus, I'm not going to redo themes with new images when I'm pitching a client and reviewing themes with them so they can get a feel for what's available.

Get simple is not as bad as say Themeforest or similar sites, but I just thought I'd put that out there in case the kind folks who create themes would read it and possibly rethink.  :-)
I think only Brentjlaf's themes have these sexual look. Probably a personal thing of him rather than a general thing people do.