Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED - Save not 100% after data copy
Hey all - I have had quite a good time using this tool. It is very nice and straight forward. I have however run into a small snag. The basic gist is, after getting a small site up, I created a second site to use as a development site. I followed the instructions here, and it mostly worked. I can add new pages but I cannot update once that were copied form the prod site.

For example, if I edit a page that was moved, I can add or delete items form it, and when I click Save it says it saves. But the preview screen refreshes and there are no changes. When I browse to the site there are no changes.

I have verified permissions - All ok
I have verified no domain was left unedited (changing www,domain.com to dev.domain.com) - none were missed
I ran the website health check and it came back 100% green. No issues.

Being that I have spent the time creating the site already, I do NOT want to have to copy code to make this work, but I have verified it works: New install, create page, copy source form prod to dev, and try to save it - Works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas here?
Cheers!

Details:
Apache: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
PHP Version: PHP 5.4.39-0+deb7u2
GS CMS:  3.3.5

Please let me know if you need more info.
That is odd, clean install ?

plugins ?

check debuglog or errorlog?
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2015-04-12, 13:53:41)ZedZoran Wrote: I have verified permissions - All ok

Is this second copy on the same server?

File ownership? Does user www-data have write permission (not read-only)?

If you made a new (parent) directory for it under /var/www, what are those directory's permissions?
--
Nick.
check error log for permission errors, Is it possible you are seeing a cached page , and not the updates?

have you checked on the front end for changes?
(2015-04-13, 01:28:08)hameau Wrote:
(2015-04-12, 13:53:41)ZedZoran Wrote: I have verified permissions - All ok

Is this second copy on the same server?

File ownership? Does user www-data have write permission (not read-only)?

If you made a new (parent) directory for it under /var/www, what are those directory's permissions?

It is a completely separate domain and site, but is on the same server. I have several sites running this on the same server and all work great. This issue only happened when I followed the above instructions for migrating an existing site to a new site.
(2015-04-13, 01:50:10)shawn_a Wrote: check error log for permission errors, Is it possible you are seeing a cached page , and not the updates?

have you checked on the front end for changes?

First to answer your above questions:
It was a clean install, then I followed the instructions above for migrating an existing site to this new install.

I have the default plugins and added the MultiUser plugin. Currently only MultiUser and the Innovation Theme Plugin are activated.

errorlog is clean - no errors

I check the front end after is says it saved successfully and the changes are not there. The page editor also shows no changes even when looking at the source. It is like it undoes all my changes but says it saved. Even the backups tab does not reflect a change.

This seems strange since I can create new pages, but I am unable to edit existing ones to add links to.

After enabling DEBUG I opened an existing page, added plain text to the bottom ("test_text") and saved it. It said it saved successfully, but again there are no changes to the page, no backup showing a change, no change to the frontend, no errorlog, and no debuglog created.

Thanks!
Are you entering stuff in source mode?
Ckeditor deletes invalid html
(2015-04-13, 05:46:24)shawn_a Wrote: Are you entering stuff in source mode?
Ckeditor deletes invalid html

No. All I am doing is opening an existing page from the site migration, adding text to the top of the page and clicking save. I am literally entering the text "Test" and nothing more, but after I click save, it is gone. I would say I would try a clean install and re-copy everything as per the migration steps, but this was a clean install.

But, since I can't get this figured out, I am going to try another clean install. Before migrating any data I will ensure I can create new pages as well as modify the default one. If that works, I will proceed with the migration and see what happens.

Thanks!
good idea, very odd
(2015-04-13, 10:02:01)shawn_a Wrote: good idea, very odd

Well, something is strange. I did a total of three clean installs. 

The first one had the same issue.

The second one worked fine, so to be sure I could reproduce the same successful results, I performed a third clean install and migrated the data from the production site again, and it was still working. 

I replaced the working copy with the backup and it still wasn't working. I was unable to find a difference in permissions or files, but I obviously missed something since replacing those with the latest clean build that was working everything kept working. The important thing is it is working again, and I am quite happy. 

Great tool, BTW, man. Thank you!

Cheers!
ZZ
I have never seen an instance where saves are successful but not really. There are issues with page cache not updating but you wouldn't see that issue with content fields. Are you doing anything odd like using symblinks.
Non Apache?
(2015-04-13, 22:14:58)shawn_a Wrote: I have never seen an instance where saves are successful for not really. There are issues with page cache not updating but you wouldn't see that issue with content fields. Are you doing anything odd like using symblinks.  
Non Apache?

It is set up in an ISPConfig3 hosted site. I don't think it was an issue with symlinks since I have not been able to repeat it and have successfully migrated data multiple times now. I had to have missed something before. I have saved the non-working site for further investigation at a later time.

If you're concerned about a bug of sorts, PM me and I can set it up so you can access the site and shell for testing. I truly believe the problem to be user error - I had to have missed something.
I am just thinking if it was actually saving files to another location somehow, or that filio was not reporting properly to php.

Is this is on stable ? 3.3.5?

Ill run some tests on my own and see if I can find any bug related.
definitely a bug, somehow I removed save failures, it always says success.
sorry about that.

hmmmmm
I didn't see that fails ever worked, will be fixed in 3.3.6
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpl...ssues/1029
(2015-04-14, 07:41:47)shawn_a Wrote: I didn't see that fails ever worked, will be fixed in 3.3.6
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpl...ssues/1029

Sorry for not responding sooner. It seems it lead to finding a bug though, so that is good at least. Smile 

To answer your question, albeit belated, I am running the 3.3.5 version. Thanks again for your assistance.

Cheers!
3.3.6b2 is in the downloads section fyi
(2015-04-17, 02:10:00)shawn_a Wrote: 3.3.6b2 is in the downloads section fyi

Running 3.3.6b2 in my dev now, and it looks to be running great! I did notice one change to source that needed to be made, but it is only a version:

/admin/inc/configuration.php, line 10
Code:
$site_version_no    = '3.3.6b1';

changed to:
Code:
$site_version_no    = '3.3.6b2';

Thanks, Shawn_a!
yeah I thought i missed that, forgot to check, fixed now.