Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum ft. requests
Hey, 
Let me start by saying the latest forum UI/ feature update was really great, 
but there are some basic things (if possible) that I think would be great to be able to do:

1. Linking to parts of a post (intro posts mostly), eg with phpBB [anchor] or [goto] tags. See https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=7216175.
  2. Linking to posts in the same thread on the same page without required page refresh and opening in the same browser tab.
  3. Linking to external pages with a hashtag for on-page anchor. Currently the forum strips out anchors in external links. (workaround is by adding ?param=anchor and have JS on page act accordingly)
  4. Inline code as a toolbar button. Now it only works when setting format to monospace and there's no padding/background. 
  5. I wanted to delete a post because it is no longer relevant, and if you click Edit > Full, at the top there's an option to delete the post, but this doesn't work "Not the required privileges"; so either remove or give post owner permission to delete?
  6. Spoilers, eg. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/bbcode/new_spoiler/
Some issues with links, good points.

There is code and php tags on the toolbar already... ?
PHP Code:
<?php
iamfunction
(){
}
?>

Why do we need spoliers? we arent a movie or book forum..

We dont allow deleting posts, because it defeats the purpose of a member to member support forum to delete answers.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2015-04-30, 06:40:32)shawn_a Wrote: We dont allow deleting posts, because it defeats the purpose of a member to member support forum to delete answers.

Ok, but then it shouldn't be visible (or locked) to people who don't have the permissions?

(2015-04-30, 06:40:32)shawn_a Wrote: Why do we need spoliers? we arent a movie or book forum..

I admit this one's a bit of a "nice extra", but for a good example (fold/unfolding a table of contents) have a look at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthrea...S2-is-here. I know the link is for a game, but see how much more content can be fitted into less space; ideal for big plugin intros & would facilitate transferring plugin info from external sites to the GS site in an orderly fashion.

(2015-04-30, 06:40:32)shawn_a Wrote: There is code and php tags on the toolbar already...

Yes there are code blocks, but there's no inline code , like when you'd type <code></code> in HTML. The only option is to set font to 'Courier New', although manually changing it to [font=monospace] looks better.

Oh and also forgot (and saw one or two other mentions of this): the forum search rarely brings up the most relevant topics..

test
I think you can only delete it within a certain time period or something, shrug.

Interesting use case, I would rather add folding section for reels. But this sounds like a zero config thing to consider.

You mean like code lines, or `code` etc.

Yeah forum search blows...

testing inline code $test testing
There added [c] tags for inline code
until i add a syntax highlighter i just used something basic for css (stole githubs)
I will probably be adding some stuff when the plugins are upgraded, like markdown etc.

You want to volunteer to figure this shit out ?
Better search, mybb codes etc
Nice, thanks for the fast implementation. Does this website actually run on GetSimple?? If so we could use I18N search Big Grin, which is pretty good imho. For syntax highlighting I know highlight.js is pretty good, and also provides a wide array of themes. A while ago I made a Codehighlight bookmarklet using this lib that highlights all <pre> tags (which unfortunately does not work here because code blocks are simple <div>s.

Anyhow, the lib automatically detects the code language, so no need for separate [php] & [code] blocks, all fully front-end.
Including it would be as simple as doing:
Code:
hljs.configure({useBR: true});
$('div.codeblock code').each(function(i, block) {
 hljs.highlightBlock(block);
});

I know of one issue with the lib: sometimes it doesn't highlight correctly when multiple languages are in one snippet (eg JS <script> tags), but I'd need to test that more rigorously. 

(2015-04-30, 10:54:47)shawn_a Wrote: You want to volunteer to figure this shit out ?
Better search, mybb codes  etc

If you mean simply providing feedback & suggestions on the forum, yes, but afaik I can't 'copy' this website to test it locally (for search algorythms & bb codes).. 
Btw I just noticed something: when someone edits a previous post in a thread, the 'latest reply author' of the thread is set to this person (while no new reply has been posted). If this is intentional; ignore Smile
No this is mybb...
(2015-04-30, 09:45:11)Tyblitz Wrote:
(2015-04-30, 06:40:32)shawn_a Wrote: Why do we need spoliers? we arent a movie or book forum..

I admit this one's a bit of a "nice extra", but for a good example (fold/unfolding a table of contents) have a look at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthrea...S2-is-here. I know the link is for a game, but see how much more content can be fitted into less space; ideal for big plugin intros & would facilitate transferring plugin info from external sites to the GS site in an orderly fashion.

It could also be useful in a quote. If you quote someones long post but want to preserve it's info, although it's long (for example because the original post is on another page/topic).
(2015-05-01, 05:24:18)datiswous Wrote:
(2015-04-30, 09:45:11)Tyblitz Wrote:

It could also be useful in a quote. If you quote someones long post but want to preserve it's info, although it's long (for example because the original post is on another page/topic).

Yeah I reckon that's another nice example. And it would also be nice for larger blocks of code so you can see them completely without scrolling a small window, and without them taking too much post space Smile

I found & tested some myBB spoiler plugins, seems like this is the only decent one for mybb 1.4+:
Spoiler Mycode: http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=143

Might have to tweak the code a bit for the image to display correctly but looks like a fine plugin
Not really for the forum, but for the website. Because I didn't ever get a GS newsletter, I thought I wasn't subscribed.
So I clicked 'Subscribe', then got a mail to confirm 'unsubscribing' (which I didn't want).
CSS 'bug' spotted on the Extend plugin description of GSconfig UI
the image shouldn't expand over the sidebar's space... I know, no big deal, but not very neat either.
Huh?
(2015-05-28, 11:19:18)shawn_a Wrote: Huh?

[Image: iPEuqT2.png]
ah, fixed,thanks
WTH is this: http://get-simple.info/extend/admin-them...lable/437/
It downloads a ZIP with a text file called 'chupachups' and random text in it..
@timbow ?
Maybe he doesn't know how to delete things from repository. Tongue
Glowczynski.pl - webmaster, graphic designer, translator.
For any job offers contact me via artur@glowczynski.pl.
Another not very logical thing spotted with the Extend repo; for example go to http://get-simple.info/extend/plugin/gs-...tings/913/, then go to the 'Archives' section.

The archives are in a totally random order. 
IMO archives should be listed by date (newest first).
indeed
These are really extend issues not forum...

Archives sorting is fixed
(2015-06-13, 00:31:15)shawn_a Wrote: These are really extend issues not forum...

Archives sorting is fixed

I know, perhaps I should rename this topic to 'General website & forum bugs/ requests'. Think it's a bit silly to start a new topic for those 1-2 issues every once in a while.
I am pretty sure there is already and extend wish list thread, not sure if there is a bug thread.
(2015-06-13, 02:59:33)shawn_a Wrote: I am pretty sure there is already and extend wish list thread, not sure if there is a bug thread.

Wish list is here: http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=5498