Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
PROBLEM Where does GS save components?
Hi,

and next question: is there a bug in GS 3.3.5 when administrating components?

I tried to change an existing component and wanted to keep the old one:
- I copied the old content to the clipboard,
- renamed the old component to name-old,
- created a new component with the original name and
- filled in the old content to edit it there.

Result: GS mixed up nearly all of my component names and contents! Unedited components suddenly had a different name, the component I wanted to edit existed twice, a complete chaos!

So: is there a bug known in administrating components?

And important for me: Where does GS save the components in a complete backup? I would like to restore my components, but I don't find them in my backups. Sad

Thank you very much for your help!

Hypertexter
Components are stored in /data/other/components.xml
Thank you!

But I cannot replace the corrupted file by an older one. Filezilla says: 550 components.xml: Permission denied

Permissions are 0755 and owner is 65534.

I tried to rename the corrupted one and upload the older file, which works. But then I cannot save changes in the file any more via GS.

Huh 
Hypertexter
yes they should be in backups and archives.
yes there is a bug since its form uses post indexes instead of arrays, its possible for things to get whacked, if you have an empty title somehow or change to much at once like you did. Although this almost never happens. Not exactly sure what causes it.

This has been overhauled in 3.4
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
hmm sounds like an owner issue, yo might have better luck saving via gs and editing via ftp and just replace the entire file contents.
(2015-05-26, 00:33:55)Hypertexter Wrote: Thank you!

But I cannot replace the corrupted file by an older one. Filezilla says: 550 components.xml: Permission denied

Permissions are 0755 and owner is 65534.

I tried to rename the corrupted one and upload the older file, which works. But then I cannot save changes in the file any more via GS.

Huh 
Hypertexter

Hi i know it is not a good solution but try 777 just to test 
65534 is the correct GID name ? probably you did the reset owner via your hosting panel ?
in some cases (depends on the hosting) by resetting the owner ( from apache to ownername ) it is not possible anymore to change anything via an admin , 
Hello!

@shawn_a
Good to know. I will never try to rename a component anymore... and perhaps I did not save components often enough.

Editing the components.xml via Filezilla failed. It is downloaded, edited locally and uploaded back - which fails with "Permission denied".

I edited the existing file via GS again, until it seemed to be right.

@maco-nl
65534 seems to be set by GS. I did not change it. And it makes that I cannot access the file via Filezilla, only via GS.
I do not know how to set it back to 1000.

Hypertexter
Hi Hypertexter
in that case Filezila will not overwrite it completely
i Don't know wich admin panel you have ?

but if you have Directadmin to access your hosting then it is go to files
go to components.xml choose this one and go down , there you see a button reset owner
once you have done this , you can replace the file via ftp
if you have problems to access components.xml via GS then change the rights into 777 just to see if it works
Hi,

I'm facing the same problem with the last version of GS. No know solution yet for this bug?

Regards
Cesar
(2015-08-26, 08:27:02)cesar Wrote: Hi,

I'm facing the same problem with the last version of GS. No know solution yet for this bug?

Regards
Cesar

I also face this difficulty. The solution is forced to edit '/data/other/components.xml' using file manager in cpanel, rather than overwrite via ftp.
(2015-11-19, 00:18:47)bigthanks Wrote:

Regards
Cesar

I also face this difficulty. The solution is forced to edit '/data/other/components.xml' using file manager in cpanel, rather than overwrite via ftp.

How did you solve this problem? Please share it.
(2015-11-19, 17:23:13)toryburch Wrote:
(2015-11-19, 00:18:47)bigthanks Wrote:

Regards
Cesar

How did you solve this problem? Please share it.

please look my attachments. sorry for my english.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think they ate reffering to permission problems.