Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Impressions
I have tried GetSimple for the firs time a few days ago, and I am more than satisfied. Excellent small but powerful CMS with limited features (unfortunately...) but nevertheless usable for most small websites.

What is absolutely annoying are third party plugins extremely poorly described without any example, ergo, unusable.
For example, I would like to set my web site to display only a few lines of every new article, and after clicking on "read more" link to expand to whole post.
I suspect that plugin called "Pages excerpts" will do the job.
I have set it up on my web site, and now... what???? Huh

Description says " echo page_excerpt('index', 60, 'html');" !!!
Is this the right syntax? Where to put it ??? in template?? on my page???

Who the fuck knows !!!

And this is only example. Every other plugin was the same, description is unusable, and there is no example.

Very annoying
Hi satman,

Please refer to the plugin support forum for questions about a particular plugin. You should know that any code between <?php ... ?> tags is to be written in the template.php file (or specific template, eg blog.php, in your theme folder). Googling "code echo" would have shown you it was PHP. In GetSimple, code that is processed on the page takes the form of shortcodes (just like in Wordpress, but here the syntax is (% code %) or {% code %}.

You might be more interested in a full blog solution though, which manage these things automatically. For this, have a look at NewsManager (updated), GS Blog, or I18N search. IMO News Manager provides a very nice interface for that with not too many but just enough options (Install, activate in plugins tab, then go to Pages Tab and choose 'News Manager' in the sidebar).
GS Blog = exactly the same instructions, but 'Blog Manager' instead of 'News Manager'; provides many more options (so if you need something real simple, NewsManager might be easier)
If you plan on using a cms as a blog or news site then you would have the best luck using one of the blog or news manager plugins. Getsimple is not a blog platform.

I believe news manager by carlos has native support for this.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2015-06-14, 23:31:08)shawn_a Wrote: If you plan on using a cms as a blog or news site then you would have the best luck using one of the blog or news manager plugins. Getsimple is not a blog platform.

I believe news manager by carlos has native support for this.

Hi shawn_a,

Main intention i s to run a small and simple web site without database, and I think the GetSimple is the best solution. It is really as simple as it can can be.
Of course, if you want to be small and simple, you cannot have everything. Here, the plugins step in.

I'm just frustrated with the way they are described on the web.
I have some experience with other cms systems, php, html and lot of other stuff, but the plugin "how to" is written for the people that already knows what, where, when and how.
Is it so hard to set up a small example for the rest of us who would also like to tu set up a small web with few extended features, and do not have all the knowledge about specific cms.

For example, it was easier for me to include the "shadowbox" for my image gallery than to use any of available plugins....

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion

regards
Most plugins have Installation (usually "Unzip, upload to /plugins and activate") and usage instructions in their Extend pages (or at least some link to a site with documentation)
Extend rarely contains documentation, you have to follow the support and website links.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix