Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you (or your clients) pay for a plugin?
This is a question I’ve been pondering over then last couple of days.

I’m currently playing around with different options I need GetSimple to have for my site to work the way I want it to work. I’m pushing all of these into one big plugin. Obviously this takes quite some time to work out and I’m therefore thinking about possible sale possibilities.

Today I’ve been working on rendering the admin section (screenshot) for my plugin. I have to say, when you want to build something big you start to notice how hard it is to add pages to the back-end of the system without changing the core. I’ve still been able to keep myself restricted to the plugins folder only though.

The features I’m working on are news, RSS, contact form(s) and a guestbook. I’ve been thinking about comments, but I don’t know whether that’s plausible (yet).

Would you consider buying a massive plugin with an admin section that has been well thought about?
Or would you rather wait for individual plugins to become available for free and put those all in?
If you’re making a site for a client who doesn’t know the first thing about coding, would you throw a big all-handling plugin in there?

Of course the price range will not be near that of a whole site. Probably somewhere around €10 per site, maybe less if I actually find several buyers. And if it’s for a client you can just add that to the bill I guess.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
I personally would wait, I understand your the time it takes to build your desired plugin... But really,
your gonna build it anyway so why not share it. I would recommend a donation but not much else.

But hey that's just my opinion!
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
Hi there martijn,

if the plugin is helpful enough i am willing to pay for it but the news manager (and contact) for example is already a free plugin and rss isn't that hard to implement. Of course i don't know how advanced your plugin will be, if it's advanced its worth paying for it. For example i would pay for a user management plugin, but i don't think that's possible in GS now, i took a look at that.

Thanx btw for your reply on the mail. (Are you Dutch btw? Cause your profile says form Sweden)
OWS_Matthew Wrote:But really, your gonna build it anyway so why not share it.
I considered that, and I think that will also be the biggest sales problem. People expect all plugins and addons to be free because certain other plugins and addons are free.

Thanks for your opinion on the matter Smile

rogerstreets Wrote:Of course I don’t know how advanced your plugin will be, if it’s advanced it’s worth paying for it.
I’m aiming for advanced but very user friendly, with as many configurations neatly stacked away on the admin side where you should be able to get everything setup and running without touching a single line of code. At least, that’s the challenge I’ve given myself.

rogerstreets Wrote:For example I would pay for a user management plugin, but I don’t think that’s possible in GS now.
You’re right, there are no hooks inside the login system so there is no way a plugin can offer user management. Though lately I’ve been playing with some ideas in my head and am convinced that user management would be possible with some GetSimple core changes.

rogerstreets Wrote:Thanx btw for your reply on the mail. (Are you Dutch btw? Cause your profile says from Sweden)
Not a problem. And yes, lived the odd 15–16 first years of my life in the Netherlands.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
No Problem.

Definitely looking forward to see what ever you have to develop! Especially a members system!!!
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!