Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HelgeSverre.com
Development Time: ~12 hours
Original Template: ION
Description
This is my personal website where I showcase my work and sell my web development services, the website has gone through a few iterations in the past 2 years, moving from WordPress to static html and now to GetSimple CMS.

The template is ION from templated.co, however I have customized and adapted it to my own use, for instance, the original template did not support multi-level menus.

I created the GS Theme from my existing website, and then just pasted in all the content from the old site, deploying the site took about 5 minutes in total.

Most of the "blocks" on the homepage has been implemented as components with html in them.

Custom Functionality:
Contact form, the contact form on the main page and the contact page are not a plugin, but rather a hard-coded form in the theme which uses AJAX to send a simple post request to a file completely separate from GetSimple, this was easier and faster to do then implement it as a plugin(for now).

Challenges:
In my original theme I had font-awesome icons in the services dropdown menu, but due to not wanting to mess too much with the i18n plugin I opted to drop those since I couldnt find a way to dynamically choose icons and display them in the menu.

I might fix that issue in the future, but it's not something I'm going to spend a lot of time on right now.

One of the reasons as to why I chose to implement the contact form the way i did was partly due to not knowing exactly how GetSimple handles AJAX, so i opted to just do that part in its own separate file, if anyone could enlighten me on this aspect that would be appreciated.

If anyone is wondering how I managed to get the menu to link to other pages than GetSimple, I used the i18n plugin with the i18n custom fields plugin, if you add a new custom field called "link" with type of "link" you can link to external urls.
Web Developer
Plugins: GS Plugin Installer | Referrer Blocker | Password Protect