Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugin Suggestions
Hey there

I am interested in knowing what plugins the community would benefit from, I got some free time on my hand and want to invest my time into this community and CMS to learn it better and to make something people would find useful, so let me know what you would like to see created.

It can be an existing plugin that is outdated and need an update or something completely new, let me hear what you think! Smile
Web Developer
Plugins: GS Plugin Installer | Referrer Blocker | Password Protect
We really need a decent contact form builder.

And a catalog for items.

These are ones that come up a lot.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2015-07-04, 03:08:17)shawn_a Wrote: We really need a decent contact form builder.

And a catalog for items.

These are ones that come up a lot.

Could you elaborate on this?

A form builder would be an interesting project, I might look into that!
I have previously done some work customizing and using RSForm Pro! for Joomla and could take some points from it and implement it into GetSimple.
Web Developer
and easy Star Rating
- A decent, easy to use but somewhat customizable plugin to fetch and display Atom/RSS feeds. (I started one -GetFeed- ages ago, but I don't have the time for it)

- A one-page-site plugin that allows having normal pages too.
(2015-07-04, 07:43:01)Carlos Wrote: - A decent, easy to use but somewhat customizable plugin to fetch and display Atom/RSS feeds. (I started one -GetFeed- ages ago, but I don't have the time for it)

- A one-page-site plugin that allows having normal pages too.

RSS Feed Plugin:
Which options would need to be customizable in such a plugin?

This is what I'd imagine such a plugin should be able to do:
Set the RSS feed, set how many times it should fetch info, should have some sort of caching feature, should be able to order by feed fields, should be able to choose how many items to display.

One Page Site Plugin:
Would you elaborate a little on this, I think i know what you mean( Manging content on various places on a single page site) but I need some clarification Smile
Web Developer
this plugin can do? http://www.atnsolutions.com/atn-simple-cart
(2015-07-04, 07:54:51)HelgeSverre Wrote:
(2015-07-04, 07:43:01)Carlos Wrote: - A one-page-site plugin that allows having normal pages too.

One Page Site Plugin:
Would you elaborate a little on this, I think i know what you mean( Manging content on various places on a single page site) but I need some clarification Smile

+1 from me for that idea. 
Catalog Plugin with auto thumbnails.
Star/Thumb ratings with most ratet goes up/fist automatically.
Responsive gallery.
Form builder.
(2015-07-05, 04:31:30)Riianna Wrote: Catalog Plugin with auto thumbnails.
Star/Thumb ratings with most ratet goes up/fist automatically.
Responsive gallery.
Form builder.

What do you mean by "Catalog plugin"?

A form builder seems like a very interesting plugin to try my hands at, I might make that my next project!
Web Developer
Yes, I would agree about the contact form.

I can't seem to find one on the extend repository that works well.
I keep mine here asi i think of them.
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpleCMS/issues/993
Here is a similar thread with ideas:
http://get-simple.info/forums/showthread.php?tid=6940
With the form builder it would be nice if results of a filled form can be saved in the admin instead of only just used for email. That way it might be possible to also make some sort of registration system, for events, ratings, polls, etc.

Also presenting content or changing style (or maybe even plugin setting) based on user submission in a form is an idea.
(2015-07-04, 03:14:32)HelgeSverre Wrote:
(2015-07-04, 03:08:17)shawn_a Wrote: We really need a decent contact form builder.

Could you elaborate on this?

For inspiration, you might want to have a look at Mike Challis's Fast Secure Contact Form (PHP version, GPL v2). I have used it on some GS sites, but it would really benefit from being fully integrated with GS back-end.
--
Nick.
And of course a forum plugin Big Grin. Something simple like (now dead cms) LightNEasy had
Thought I'd give my 2 cents (since I've tried a lot of these examples and lost the will to continue on most of them and want you to be successful with it):
  • Try to consolidate your reusable code as early as possible. If you're developing loads of plugins you'll quickly find yourself redefining many of the same kinds of functions. Maybe turn to mvlcek's i18n plugins and i18n_base for inspiration?
  • Find a sensible way of structuring your codebase early and stick to it. I would reach the "end" of a project and start the next one very differently, leading to vastly different (and difficult to understand) codebases.
  • For creating and saving files, use the JSON file format. It's a much easier format to work with than XML since you just need to json_encode/decode your data and put/get the contents to/from the desired file, rather than faffing about with XML escaping and CDATA blocks.
  • If you can find an existing library/software that can be ported over and easily used in GetSimple, use it. You'll save yourself the headache of implementing your own solutions for functionality that others have potentially done better
  • Keep your ear to the ground for the current discussions on plugin development. If it turns out that the current plugins will be lagrely incompatible with releases in future (and I mean 4.0+), it might be prudent to design yours in a way that minimizes the teething troubles
  • If you build plugins that rely on user registration, either tie it to the existing user management plugins that we have or tie them to completely external services. You don't want to have to write your own user registration and authentication system.

(2015-08-07, 20:25:47)Riianna Wrote: And of course a forum plugin Big Grin. Something simple like (now dead cms) LightNEasy had
I have to agree with Riianna, I'd like to see a simple forum system built for GS...
Since forums are db driven, isn't it wise to just incorporate an existing forum into it ?
For reference: NoNonsense Forum (doesn't use a database)
Nice
When I was running WebApp, that was all flat file, including the web board....Just can't find a decent flat file web board that I can easiely make look like it belongs to GS
(2015-08-08, 16:29:40)Carlos Wrote: For reference: NoNonsense Forum (doesn't use a database)

Something like that. Now we need some pro to integrate that to GS ;D.
Also how about some simple shop plugin, like simplecart js.
create a github issue, so we remembers, gets lost here