Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal vpn
Do any of you nerds use a personal vpn at home and for your personal devices , tablets phones etc?
Any suggestions where to start? 

Apple devices
Firewalled devices
Etc.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
No overwhelming response, so ...

Is this for a VPN connection from outside, back to your LAN? Or a VPN from your device to the Internet (e.g., IP address hiding, Wi-Fi hotspot security, ...)?
--
Nick.
Both

split and proxy

Some devices will have different needs, But mobile devices be able to get to my internal lan, and also proxy safe internet browsing from shady hotspots.

Some just to connect to my home network from remote locations

My main goal is flexibility, lots of device support, ease of management setup.

I might extend it also to other wlans, for remote support of others computers on their networks, so support for openwrt or fire devices might be nice or some other cheap solutions.

Not afraid of affordable pay services either.
For proxy services, I use HideIPVPN (feel free to strip the affiliate suffix if you object). I gave up with free VPNs – they are just too flaky and prone to too much contention. Good support in modern OSs.

For remote links to your home LAN, dd-wrt would be my choice. I don't know of any consumer routers that include VPN capability with OEM firmware. There are plenty of cheap routers to give dd-wrt a try.

Two separate services, of course, so you can dabble a bit at a time.

Quote:I might extend it also to other wlans, for remote support of others computers on their networks ...

I have never tried VPN for this, but I don't have any clients that would justify the set-up on the far end. I use either VNC or a commercial service (TeamViewer or ScreenConnect).
--
Nick.
thanks,
heard good things about teamviewer..
Hi,
I use ultraVNC to connect at home from outside, using a no-ip domain; you have to forward the port that you use in router.
I use teamviewer to connect at work; though I can connect to a VPN at work, It is more comfortable teamviewer...

Regards
Yeah this is what i am avoiding, having extremely vulnerable ports open to the public.

I am using hamachi for most of my p2p vpn needs atm
(2015-07-22, 22:54:13)shawn_a Wrote: Yeah this is what i am avoiding, having extremely vulnerable ports open to the public.

To connect to my own desktop from outside the LAN, I use VNC over SSH, on a custom port. SSH is set up for public key authentication only (no password access).

For reverse VNC (client support), my open, forwarded ports are only vulnerable when the my vncviewer is running, otherwise there is nothing responding on them (the open ports). My client has to call me for support before I start the vncviewer and I have my vncviewer request approval before establishing the connection. The client's side has no open ports for reverse VNC as the connection is initiated by outbound traffic.
--
Nick.
For desktop proxy I use pia though sometimes I encounter issue when connecting but very rare.
I have recently set up a Raspberry Pi as an OpenVPN gateway on my LAN. This gives me secure access to my own resources, as well as secure Internet access when I'm on site or using a free hotspot.

Really easy to set up with this PiVPN one-liner. If you're nervous about piping a script straight into bash, you can always download and inspect the script before executing it.

Edit: is this thread really nearly a year old? Where does the time go ...
--
Nick.
Nice

Holy shit it IS old.ugh