Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GetSimple Scope Constraints?
I like that I can browse every file in "GetSimple" and understand the work-flow with little or no documentation. Most open-source CMS/WCM's are completely bloated by unfriendly hierarchy schemes, that make each module's process more and more complicated. (tethering your developer's brain to a rapidly obsolete vernacular)

I prefer to see GS as simple, lightweight application that does exactly what it should, perfectly.

Good developers will fill the holes in between with project hacks, glitter, and duct tape. I hope GS won't try to be a catch all platform, complicated by feature wars or technology politics.

However, certain constraints could focus GS:

Arbitrary file size maximum (ie. GS will never be more than 2mb)
Functions restraint (ie. GS will do X. Developers can change A-Z, guided by documentation.
Hard separation of admin and theme (teaching concept as best practice)
Plugin/Addon/etc. template for developers.

With a simple frame-work, each independent developer can know exactly where GS fits. Even, with only several distracting, 'half-assed' functions, it would soon become depressing and dated. Let's avoid that.

I have faith in Chris and Derek to coordinate the best possible direction for GS. (I am not familiar with the specifics of the organization that operates GetSimple, I've just made assumptions from what I've read on the site and forums.)

I know why I like GS, and I know what I envision to use it for. Information is cross-browser compatible, but most sites aren't. A simple semi-prototype web will emerge. Development schedules will be exponentially reduced by reusing data assets (info, rules, logic) and XML (or JSON) will be the next iteration of Ford's assembly line. With the advancement of OWL, RDF, GRDDL, and ARIA - HTTP will evolve.

I'm looking to these companies for direction.

jQuery
37Signals (RoR)
Mozilla (Ubiquity)
Opera (Unite)
SIMILE (MIT Projects)
YUI (Version 3) / Mootools / Prototype
Google (Fusion Tables, Wave, Docs)

Wordpress, Drupal, etc. aren't the future. They will be replaced by the next generation of ambitious developers vying for attention on whatever social network is popular this quarter.

Remember what Ray Kurweil says about (programming) languages. All humans are limited by the vocabulary and relationships we are independently aware of. Meaning the approach we take, is limited by what we already know. (Why LISP dev's are [------this-------] arrogant.)

I don't want to learn a new language, I want to help write one, and move on to the next whatever. If you think "X" technology is the future, search for recent patents and see how stupid they all sound. Format shouldn't be patentable, and mostly it's all business practices that combine collective intelligence gathering, data-mining, and micro-payments.

We can think beyond three months. (In the mean-time releases : Google OS, Windows 8, Firefox 3.6-, Ubuntu Karmic Koala, Apple Tablet, etc.)

Things will change. Concrete platforms will be distributed to SaaS alternatives, lightweight open-source apps, and for-profit focused development platforms. (iceberg, django, RoR)

Let's help facilitate an agnostic web.

-Ryan
Welcome aboard Derek! I didn't even know. I don't think Chris knew either. Smile
Ryan,

I'm sorry i didn't read this until now. I have almost the same exact vision for this piece of software (see the mission statement)

I really like how you laid this out, and although it might be easy to listen to everyone's requests - I have to keep true to what I wanted GS to become... the easiest way for a non-web savvy client to keep a site updated. Nothing fancier.

This also goes along with Pixelita's thoughts...

Im glad many of you have come on board with what I always wanted for GS. Thank you!
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
haha ... oh and Derek (along with a great cast of other devotees) have been an unbelieveable help in getting GS production ready and bug free. I couldn't have done it without their help and determination.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!