Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update Notification
You know, like wordpress. Use cURL to pull a file that has the name of the current version, then check against yours. If different, alert.
------
I can't design for shit but I can code the shit out of your design
Subscribe here: http://get-simple.info/download Smile
I know that, i am saying in the CMS itself for once it starts getting distributed to people that wouldn't be following these websites as closely
------
I knew you knew.. that's why I added the smiley. Would be nice, but I'd rather have more full featured Components and Image linking before Update Notifications (unless that's a "flip-the-switch" kind of enhancement, but I doubt it). Would also love to see a more specific (ie, with dates) Roadmap http://get-simple.info/start/roadmap.

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but maybe Chris wouldn't be opposed to a Poll/Vote to see which Features are most important to everyone.
And for chris to maybe start opening up to more developers
------
I would like to see this. Anything to make life easier. Smile
@derek - I do have a function like this on the "Health Check" page. I originally didnt place the check on every page for fear of bringing my server down with API calls. I might rethink this in the future.

@derek & @badcat - You two have been the most vocal in terms of needing me to open up to developers, but let me explain why i am handling this project the way I am:

I have a very specific idea for GS - most of the feature requests listed on this forum are not for GS. After pouring the last 8-9-10? months of my nights and weekends into this project - I want to retain control for now to ensure my focus stays on target.

I do agree that at a minimum SVN is a must, but right now, the time isn't here for me. I have a full-time job (not in development or web design) along with my part-time job ( http://www.cagintranet.com/ ) and a (very understanding) family with two toddlers running around. I know things need done, and I know they will - it may just not be tomorrow.

I realize what I really need is a project coordinator to help prioritize keep track of things - bugs, features that fit in, etc. I know this is a catch-22, but one that I am happy to be in for now.

Thank you everyone for your continued support while i (we) work through these issues.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
OK - I stand behind Chris on this... It's been my experience that many successful projects have a singular vision. I suppose things will work out one way or another. And I certainly understand that constant balance of home, work and family. Go Chris Go!

I'll be over here making www.GSCMS-Plugins.com Smile (I'm kidding of course, I can barely get php_info() working)
Thanks badcat. My heart and soul is in this project - and I have no doubt that it soon will be bug free and multilanguage friendly and then we all can sit down and weed through all those the feature requests that have been accumulating.
- Chris
Thanks for using GetSimple! - Download

Please do not email me directly for help regarding GetSimple. Please post all your questions/problems in the forum!
Re: http://get-simple.info/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=665#p665

Chris, I know you want GS to be a simple platform for site operators to maintain. However, by selecting such a robust but simple foundation, GS (even in it's current state) provides an ideal environment to create huge-site prototypes. By reducing the framework overhead required in most development environments - more time can be spent optimizing the communication assets which is the primary package we wish to deliver to the information consumer. These ideas are not conflicting, I want a platform to refine dialog as processed by screen viewers (users reading preferences, abilities, and interests), but open enough not to limit the recursive improvement of concepts built within.

A huge population of developers will be migrating to simpler platforms (as they realize the importance of prototypes, iterations, and utterances) over the next 18 months. GS could be the tool to facilitate simple, unhindered utterances.

For more information about utterances, see: Japanese Project Management, TQM, Six Sigma

-Ryan Gensel

twitter.com/readysetproject
www.readysetproject.com