Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling to figure out GS
Hi,
I've been playing with GetSimple - really like it and have a couple of small projects I'd like to use with it. I am sure it's simple hence the sparse documentation but is it possible to get some docs for idiots like myself ....?
If only to explain the strategy for getting a 2-3 page website up and running - wthout touching any php? I'm even finding getting images into a page troublesome as it seems to need an absolute path to the image file and I'd rather use a relative one to save editing when test site goes live. (Or am I msising something really obvious here).

Also the uploaded files ... they are there, the Files tab in the CPanel shows them but I cannot link to them or get them to show up in a page. Again prob something really obvious ....

Any dummy guides out there?

Cheers
There are very little guides out there because no one really bothers to write any, instead we just answer questions here on the forum ;-)

Images have always been a problem, Mike has launched a KCFinder plugin to make it easier to add things to your pages. This might be implemented into the GetSimple core at a later time.

Uploaded files should be accessible. Can you use a FTP-client or some other method to check whether the files exist in the upload directory? If they are there and you cannot access them with your browser you might need to check your HTACCESS-file or CHMOD, my guess is something is blocking access for everyone except the GetSimple script.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Thanks for the reply.

All files are there and if embedding a link it can be accessed e.g. data/uploads/<filename>, but if embedding an uploaded image in a page using ../data/uploads<filename> it appears in the admin page creation tool but is not displayed in the finished page .... are 5the paths being rewritten somewhere?

Cheers
I think the problem might be with the relative path starting with two dots. Think about this example:
  • I create a child page called child to a page called parent.
    Now the address for this page will be: http://example.ms/parent/child.
  • On this page I embed an image with a path that worked in the admin: ../data/uploads/image.png.
  • Now I open the page in my browser.
    The browser will try to get the following image: http://example.ms/parent/data/uploads/image.png.
  • The image does not exist.

A way to fix this would be to start your relative paths with just a forward slash (/), this will set the browser to start at the root. /data/uploads/image.png always points to http://example.ms/data/uploads/image.png.

Relative paths are always tricky. A path that works in the admin section is made to work relative to the admin section only, not to the final page.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!