Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plugins tab not working
Have been playing around with GS and testing themes and so on and have noticed a few times that the plugins tab in admin stops working (on local host anyway)

Each time I have had to do a fresh install

Any ideas?
I went through an intensive month of getting use to GS and trying different plugins. I reloaded GS about 5 times before I found out that simply removing plugins back to the bare minimum solved any problems that cropped up. Then I would slowly restore plugins over a day or so until I found which plugin was misbehaving. I hope this helps Smile
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
(2016-03-24, 04:36:25)jwzumwalt Wrote: I went through an intensive month of getting use to GS and trying different plugins. I reloaded GS about 5 times before I found out that simply removing plugins back to the bare minimum solved any problems that cropped up. Then I would slowly restore plugins over a day or so until I found which plugin was misbehaving. I hope this helps Smile

Thanks jwzumwalt, I came to the same conclusion earlier this evening

Many thanks

Cobber
It's always nice to know what plugins misbehave, we could me a list of that.
(2016-03-24, 10:49:05)datiswous Wrote: It's always nice to know what plugins misbehave, we could me a list of that.

I'm sorry but it is not quite that simple.

What I found was that there is quite a bit of interaction. So I ended up prioritizing what features meant most to me and when one did not play right make a choice. In nearly all cases the plugins work pretty good on a minimal install but things can scare you when you use quite a few. I currently am trying to get the "Blog" plugin to work - but so far have been unsuccessful.

I am certainly not complaining. GS is lean and mean and well behaved. Anytime you have the wonderful breadth of programmers and very few standards, there will eventually be a collision. Compare GS to the gobbly -gook of Wordpress etc and this is a better way to go.

This is my site list that works together...

Directories
-----------------------

anonymous_data
DM_PE_pageedit
fa4gsa
gs_plugin_installer
GSCkePatch
i18n_navigation
i18n_search
InnovationPlugin
pages_comments
pagify
sa_toolbar
simple-c
user-login
user-managment

Files
----------------------------
anonymous_data.php
child_menu.php
DM_PE_pageedit.php
fa4gsa.php
gs_plugin_installer.php
GSCkePatch.php
i18n_navigation.php
i18n_search.php
InnovationPlugin.php
NewPageFrom404.php
pages_comments.php
pagify.php
sa_toolbar.php
simple-c.php
sitemap.php
user_login.php
user-managment.php
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Alot of popular plugins have not been updated for 3.3, so they ise workarounds and clever hacks to implement features but these hacks can interfere with other plugins or make assumtions about which order things will be performed. Most of this funtionality has been incorporated into gs but plugins authors are either no longer active or have the time. And since they work good enough for most cases no alternatives have been developed.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Smile 
I'm up early this morning before the kids up Smile , coffee ready, laptop on and going to test whether the multi user plugin is the one that causes any problems.

Then testing the method for installing and migrating an existing site

And yep everything went fine. Migrated quick theme I made and all went well, then added the multi user plug in.

The only thing I would say is that when I tried to change the url in settings, I received a chmod 'can't write to file' message. However once I reset the permissions (I'm using Fedora 22), closed the tab in the browser and reopened the webpage - all worked fine.

My next step is to read the docs for making plugins, then maybe I can give back to the community.
(2016-03-25, 16:58:05)cobber Wrote: My next step is to read the docs for making plugins, then maybe I can give back to the community.

I can assure you, you will continue to find enjoyment and success. You will get all the help you need from this forum when you start making plugins - this group of programmers is the best!
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")