Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROBLEM Lost pull-down menus, confused
Question 
New user, be gentle!  Big Grin

The good news is this is on a test site. Probably once I redid over from scratch the problem would go away. But I wouldn't learn anything, and if it happened later on the production site I'd be SOL. So let's use this as a learning opportunity!

Running the latest GS, with the Bootstrap3 theme. I had been trying to get pulldown menus working and they magically started when I learned to install the I18N plugin. Everything was great!

I experimented with some other themes (but came back to Bootstrap3). I also installed the News Manager and DY Obfuscator (and some other plugins that I didn't end up using so I now have disabled). Again, everything was working great.

What I was doing when things broke was I had a "Home" and "About" page. I decided they were redundant, took the content of "About", put it into "Home". I then deleted "About". Also around this time I removed some alternate language versions of the Contact page (I think) that I had somehow gained in my experimenting.

Now, my parent page for the pulldown still appears, and still has the down triangle signifying that there are supposed to be submenus, but they don't appear when you hover/mouseover. You can click on the parent page and get whatever content it has. I can forcibly bring up the child menus if I explicitly use the full URL, so they aren't hidden. I've even tried making a test parent and a new test submenu and the same thing, so it wasn't just corruption of my existing menus.

Surely I'm just doing something dumb. Someone want to help me learn from this experience? Thanks!
(2016-05-11, 04:06:22)sremick Wrote: New user, be gentle!  Big Grin

The good news is this is on a test site. Probably once I redid over from scratch the problem would go away. But I wouldn't learn anything, and if it happened later on the production site I'd be SOL. So let's use this as a learning opportunity!

I'v been running GS in production for 6mo now. I spent 1 month reloading and experimenting about 10 versions. In time, I learned what not to do. There is no book big enough to warn or school a person through all possibilities. The main quality for a good programmer is patience and perseverance!

The folks on the forum are great... but each install is custom and requires experimentation. I can say that after the learning curve I have not had a single crash until I try some new plugin - but I have learned how to back out of trouble. Good Luck!
Thanks,
jwzumwalt
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Thanks for the optimism. Smile Let's hope a GS genius can enlighten me to what broke and how to fix it. Then I can walk away from this a bit smarter and better-prepared to address issues that might surface with my production site once it goes live.

Blowing away this test install and starting over would be too easy, and I wouldn't learn anything.