Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUESTION Lots of little pages - is that wise?
I teach English as a Second Language and a common activity is to use role cards, small cards with a few lines. A group of students are given a set of role cards explaining a situation and must make a dialogue. As you can imagine, in any class larger than about 10, printing and sorting these cards is a pain.
But I do have a GetSimple based website. My idea is to create a table of html links and each student, using a mobile phone, can click to his card - which now is a few lines on a webpage. A return link brings them back to the table or on to a new web page for the next situation.
With 3 roles and many situations, I will soon be creating perhaps well over a 100 pages for this alone, each page being tiny.  I am not sure however if there will be an impact on performance. Is there a limit to the number of pages GS can handle comfortably?
Normally that isn't a problem with GS native pages, but its also depending on your server's available RAM and how you're handling a huge amount of pages.
I am not sure whether GetSimple provides a pagination function under the pages view or some search and filter features that you can use to browse through your card collection efficiently.

I do not know how is your programming experience, but this is a clear case for ItemManager plugin, which allows you to handle large quantities of data very effective.
(2016-09-30, 22:57:02)Bigin Wrote: Normally that isn't a problem with GS native pages, but its also depending on your server's available RAM and how you're handling a huge amount of pages.
I am not sure whether GetSimple provides a pagination function under the pages view or some search and filter features that you can use to browse through your card collection efficiently.

I do not know how is your programming experience, but this is a clear case for ItemManager plugin, which allows you to handle large quantities of data very effective.

Maybe an unusual setup. My class has no internet so my server is an elderly Asus 701, the original Linux netbook. With only 512K of RAM and a nearly 10 year old Celeron processor, it is handling about a dozen pages and over 60 students. I have a Raspberry PI 3 on order which should be an upgrade to a Gig of ram and faster processor. The little Asus has only a 4g hard drive so space is also limited. Great to be able to deliver text and pictures so easily.
I have only thought of labeling each page so they fit in a block on my page view so I can scroll past them quickly.
Got to say, I love GS and am using the Mobi theme as all my users are using mobile phones so I need a minimal interface. I have some CS background but so far have not lifted the hood.
I will look at ItemManager plugin this weekend.
If you run PHP on your local machine, you can have 1000 pages as you can freely customize the settings in your php.ini file as you wish.
Yeah should be fine, although page manager gets a little unweildy at 500 pages, diento the lack of pagination, there might be a plugin to deal with that.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix