Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printer-friendly pages
I just created a new web site using GS. It took my only two days although I did not have any experience in GS, CSS, and PHP, thanks to all the stuff and advice around GS. Now I would like to add a "printer-friendly"-button. The idea is that clicking on this button (or link) would generate a new web page without navigation and in black-and-white. I do understand the core idea and know that I probably need to create a printer-friendly .css and do some PHP programming but unfortunately I lack some knowledge. An example or some hints might suffice; I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
Your post seems to have been cut-off. Please edit it to contain your actual question so we can take a look at it.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!
Things you have to do, to print a page containing only content you want (only htnl&css, no php at all)
1. create a .css, who shows only things you'd like to print from your site (you will have to hide some content inside it, because they may inherit styles from base css; use display: none style)
2. add this css for printing purposes
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />
(watch the paths)
3. add printing button (you may as well stylize it using css)
Code:
<a href="#" onclick="window.print(); return false;" title="Print page">Print</a>
(This is a text link, you can place an img instead)

good luck Wink
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
yojoe Wrote:Things you have to do, to print a page containing only content you want (only htnl&css, no php at all)
1. create a .css, who shows only things you'd like to print from your site (you will have to hide some content inside it, because they may inherit styles from base css; use display: none style)
2. add this css for printing purposes
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />
(watch the paths)
3. add printing button (you may as well stylize it using css)
Code:
<a href="#" onclick="window.print(); return false;" title="Print page">Print</a>
(This is a text link, you can place an img instead)

good luck Wink
Thanks a lot. I found another way to do the job but it is not as simple as yours.
I am thinking this could be a good plugin.

I am just not sure how to do it without having a common css style sheet that I could
just replace if print was clicked.

I think the only way it would be possible is if the created their own print style sheet and
then the plugin just added the print button.
JWH Technologies
Have any marketing ideas for Get-Simple? Let me hear them!
matthew: think how to print only get_page_content() section Smile
iframe isn't a good solution, but maybe using jquery, opening the page content in new layer and then printing it ?
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad