Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The full scoop on Folder permissions
Hello. I would like to document the full, official, recommended suite of folder permissions.
You see, I am experiencing some anomalies that I sense might be related back to permissions, and have tried a few things; But I thought it would be better to defer to the wider (and more experienced) group.
Now that I think about it, perhaps individual file permissions too?
Any thoughts about exact folder permissions required in the tree below? Can you help fill in the full, recommended permissions?

root
admin [eg: 0755]
inc
tmp
lang
template
images
js
backups
other
pages
zip
data [eg: 0755]
other
logs
pages
thumbs
uploads
plugins
theme
whatever
I'm interested too.
Well, I'm having trouble finding this information as well.

I do know that if you want to edit template files within the CP, you have to make each one 777.
My first glance when I need information on permissions is to check the "health-check" in the support section directly after installing, as recommended at the end of the installation process

I always had the impression that I get good info whether the actual configuration is sufficient or not

what do you think?

1) Did you check and get wrong answers?

- if so it would hint to a bug

2) Did you look for information elsewhere because you did not find this check?

- if so the health check should be announced more prominent

Unfortunately the WIKI is missing some more explicit information, that is clear

but everybody is asked to add information to the WIKI ;=)

so this trhead could help to gather info and find volunteers to add this info to the WIKI ;=)

Cheers, Connie
|--

Das deutschsprachige GetSimple-(Unter-)Forum:   http://get-simple.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18
At my website

all folders have permission 755.
all files have permission 644.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't check all the files and folders of my GS-website for the permissions.
i'm not sure the health check is always correct. I tried to setup stricter permissions, so i chowned the files to a different owner (root) and then tried to chgroup to www-data and set write permissions to the group just for some folders and files. I managed to pass the health check, but there still were some problems remaining. Didn't bother to investigate further. chowned to www-data:www-data and everything works fine with 644. So my guess is that health check is missing some minor check.
Not sure if this helps or if it just repeats what you already know, but I was moving my localhost files onto my webserver, and when I tried to change my password it told me Unable to write config file. CHMOD 777 the folders /data, /backups and their sub-folders and retry. So I guess those folders have to be 777.