Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Child menu plugin
Hi madvic.
Your fix is now included in Child menu plugin version 1.8.
Thanks,
Erik

madvic Wrote:Hello,

I correct a bug :
<a href="'.$XMLdata->url.'">'.strip_decode($XMLdata->menu).'</a></p>';
The function strip_decode is to add at the line 117,121, 128, 132, 164, 168, 175 and 179.

When a quote was saved in the xml file, a "\" is add.
Hi Everyone,

I have been using the ChildMenu for some time now and am enjoying it very much. I was wondering though about the following, and am hoping someone could direct me in the right direction.

Since version 1.6 the plugin supports priority ordering. The fact is though that in the admin panel the only way to edit the priority is when the checkbox "add to menu" is set. Otherwise the div menu with the priority and menu text is set at "display:none;". I would like to change this to be standard visisble, whether the page is added to the menu or not.

The problem is, I cannot find the code, it must be something silly but where does the code below go to? I don't know for either of the exec_action commands.

<?php exec_action('edit-extras'); ?>

hoping someone can send me in the right direction,
Greets,
Dear Erka,
at first, thank you very much for this plugin. It works great and I like it very much.
But I have one little problem: it turned out that it works fine only if I use Fancy URL ending with "/".
On one of my sites I use ending ".html" and in this case the pluging still forms links with "/" and the links don't work of course.
Can you give any advice how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance.
Hi, thanks.
I don't really understand your setup, do you have a live example?
Cheers,
Erik
cuirassier Wrote:Dear Erka,
at first, thank you very much for this plugin. It works great and I like it very much.
But I have one little problem: it turned out that it works fine only if I use Fancy URL ending with "/".
On one of my sites I use ending ".html" and in this case the pluging still forms links with "/" and the links don't work of course.
Can you give any advice how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance.
Hi MrKireefd.
Maybe it could be fixed with a simple edit of the CSS-file for the backend?

Cheers,
Erik
MrKireefd Wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have been using the ChildMenu for some time now and am enjoying it very much. I was wondering though about the following, and am hoping someone could direct me in the right direction.

Since version 1.6 the plugin supports priority ordering. The fact is though that in the admin panel the only way to edit the priority is when the checkbox "add to menu" is set. Otherwise the div menu with the priority and menu text is set at "display:none;". I would like to change this to be standard visisble, whether the page is added to the menu or not.

The problem is, I cannot find the code, it must be something silly but where does the code below go to? I don't know for either of the exec_action commands.

<?php exec_action('edit-extras'); ?>

hoping someone can send me in the right direction,
Greets,
This was perfect for me. I wanted my child sites to be displayed in their own menu bar and this made it very easy! Thank you for the plug in.

Here is some CSS code if anyone is interested in using this as a horizontal sub menu.

Code:
#child_menu {
     float: left; width:auto;
     padding: 0px 20px;
     margin-bottom: 20px;
     text-align:left;
}

#child_menu p {
     font-size: 13px;
font-weight:bold;
margin: 0px;
     padding:5px 10px;
     line-height: normal;
display:block;
float:left;
}

#child_menu .current a {
     color: #blue;
text-decoration:none;
}
/*i did not want to display the parent page in my sub menu */
#child_menu #parent a {
     display: none;
}

#child_menu #parent {
}

#child_menu a {
     color: #black;
}

#child_menu a:hover {
     color: #cccccc;
}
Is there a way to make the child menu plug in not change when going to one of its next level child pages?

Example at http://www.newenglanddrawings.com/drawings/pen-and-ink

The top level menu has the current state of the parent page underlined and the 2nd level child menu has that current page highlighted, but when i click into the 3rd level of pages, the boat link, I want the child menu to display the exact same thing as it did on the 2nd level and it isn't doing that now.

Do you know of a way to do this? (And hopefully know a way to keep the top level parent link in the current state as well?

Thanks for your help, and thanks for the plugin!
Dominic Wrote:Is there a way to make the child menu plug in not change when going to one of its next level child pages?

I was to mention it, but you seemed to only have 2 levels.
I18N plugin, if you need more than 2 levels.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
mvlcek Wrote:
Dominic Wrote:Is there a way to make the child menu plug in not change when going to one of its next level child pages?

I was to mention it, but you seemed to only have 2 levels.
I18N plugin, if you need more than 2 levels.

I have rebuilt my template using the i18N plugin and it's working better, the sub page menu is behaving perfectly. But I still haven't figure out how to make the main parent menu link stay current when on it's grandchild page.

Example.. on this page both "Drawing" and "Pen & Ink" should be in their current state. "Drawing is not."
http://www.newenglanddrawings.com/drawin...-casco-bay

The code in my main top menu currently reads:
Code:
<?php get_i18n_navigation(get_parent(0,1)==''?return_page_slug():get_parent(0)); ?>

The code in my sub menu is:
Code:
<?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),1,1); ?>

Thanks again, I appreciate the help and i'm loving GetSimple!
Dominic Wrote:I have rebuilt my template using the i18N plugin and it's working better, the sub page menu is behaving perfectly. But I still haven't figure out how to make the main parent menu link stay current when on it's grandchild page.

The code in my main top menu must read:
Code:
<?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug()); ?>
and just make sure that the CSS rule for marking the current item also applies to the currentpath:
Code:
#navMenu li.current, #navMenu li.currentpath { ... }
Please move further questions of the I18N plugin to this thread.
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.
Thanks! That worked perfectly! I will move all future i18N plugins to the appropriate thread in the future.
Dear Erka,
I like this plugin very much. It works perfectly.
But I have a little problem: my site is in English and Russian (I use i18n for internationalization), this plugin works fine in the sidebar but it shows page titles in childmenu only in English and doesn't switch into Russian.
Is there any solution?

Of course, some people may say I should use i18n but I would like to use just childmenu.

Can somebody help me?
For child menu plug you'd have to abandon i18n completely, and go with 2 menu trees, for every language you use. Like:
english (index)
- page 1
- subpage 1
- subpage 2
-page 2
- subpage 1
2nd language
- page 1
- subpage 1

and so on.
i18n + i18n_menu or above solution + child menu. It's up to you.

edit: I'm not sure how gs3.1 operates with nested pages, as for me GS wouldn't even exist without i18n menu Wink
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
Dear yojoe,

Thank you very much for your advice. But it seems I've solved this problem.
It turned out to be much easier.
I just used

<?php get_i18n_navigation(return_page_slug(),1,2,I18N_SHOW_PAGES); ?>

and the sub menu works perfectly both in English and Russian :o)

You are right, i18n menu is a great thing!
cool plugin! but I think it's better if you do menu as unordered list, more convenient to style. anyway thanks Smile
Hi everybody,

I have noticed that both child_menu and I18N have the same problem;

somehow when I change page name (both in the title and Page Slug),

name (Title) of the page from Child Menu remains the same / does not change to the new name.

Hyper link does change tho ..

Is that some kind of the cache problem in GS? I have deleted whole cache but no results,

Thanx
alex_d Wrote:Hi everybody,

name (Title) of the page from Child Menu remains the same / does not change to the new name.

Is that some kind of the cache problem in GS? I have deleted whole cache but no results,

Thanx

For I18N: it uses the menu text, if it is set. So make sure to change not only the title, but also the menu text.
The navigation is recreated if you save a page.
mvlcek Wrote:
alex_d Wrote:Hi everybody,

Thanx

For I18N: it uses the menu text, if it is set. So make sure to change not only the title, but also the menu text.
The navigation is recreated if you save a page.

HI,

yes thank you ! .. that is the solution.

;-)
Hi,

How to get rid of a parent link in menu?

There is an answer to this question in one of previous post in this thread (no. 16), but code in child_menu.php has changed and therefore it's not up to date.
To get rid of the parent link in the child menu put the following in the CSS

#child_menu #parent {
}

Cheers,
Erik
erka Wrote:To get rid of the parent link in the child menu put the following in the CSS

#child_menu #parent {
}

Cheers,
Erik

Thanks !
So.. how to show child pages of current child pages? .. like if i have mainmenu item Scooters and it has Subs like Water Scooters and Flying Scooters, and Water Scooters has like 20 child pages and Flying Scooters has 10 child pages Big Grin. Didnt find in search
Riianna Wrote:So.. how to show child pages of current child pages? .. like if i have mainmenu item Scooters and it has Subs like Water Scooters and Flying Scooters, and Water Scooters has like 20 child pages and Flying Scooters has 10 child pages Big Grin. Didnt find in search

Use the I18N plugin for multi-level hierarchical menus.
Hi, could you help me please?

I want to use Child menu plugin with i18 navigation for more then 1 level deep menus.

What I mean is to get ONLY submenu of current level. I can get to 1st submenu, but not to level 2, 3 and so on.

Example:
Page 1
|-Sublevel1 Page 1
|-Sublevel 2 Page 1
|-Sublevel 2 Page 2
|-Sublevel1 Page 2

So, on first, starting page I could see just Page 1 (without subpages/sublevels). When I click it, I CAN get to Sublevel 1, so I see only sublevel 1 pages in menu.

However, I cant get past this level to display just Sublevel 2 of Submenu 1.

This is somewhat special project – I just CAN'T use i18n only and hide ul submenus with CSS, as I need clean structure for AJAX loading.
Problem is, that menus are the main content of the page.

So, is it possible to get to deeper levels with Child menu plugin, not just to 1st one? I tried to implement i18n navigation variables to child_menu plugin .php file (replaced return_page_slug(); with ie. return_i18n_menu()) but without much success.
(2013-01-15, 23:14:00)ZhuJo Wrote: I want to use Child menu plugin with i18 navigation for more then 1 level deep menus.

You should be able to display any sub menu with I18N, see e.g. here. And you can use custom rendering or use PHP with return_i18n_menu.