Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED Subdirectory in update folder suddenly missing or broken
Hello anybody,

i'm using GetSimple Version 3.3.12 and got the responsive file manager installed.
Files are uploaded via the file manager or sometimes also via FTP FileZilla.
When i'm working with GS and logged in the backend, i'm having FileZilla connected to the FTP at the same time, so that i can upload files via FTP or GS.

I had a subdirectory inside the uploads folder which is named "images" and a few more subdirectories in this image-folder.
I created a thumbnail of a different size with GetSimple and tried to use it in the content but the image didn't appear.
Even trying to see the thumbnail in the file manager only gave the message that GS is not able to process the request.
The problem ocurred before, when i uploaded images via GS. The images was there, but preview i.e. was not showing.
So i guessed, it's a problem with the permissions of the folder and i set the permission of the whole "images"-folder including the subdirectories via FTP to 640 - don't ask me why, but the pictures uploaded had all 640, so i thought that's the right setting.
The uploads folder got permission 755, index and htaccess of uploads-folder have 640.

What happened next is strange, the whole "images"-folder including subdirectories and all included files disappeared in FileZilla!
The images of the whole webpage were immediately gone, but the files itself are still listed in GS filemanager!
However, the files and directories in images folder have now < 1 KB and creation date is Jan 1, 1970.
It's impossible to delete these files or folders via GS, i get the following message: Error: There was a problem deleting the file.
Via FTP, it's impossible to create the same folder "images" again, i will get the message: Permission denied.

I am really stuck now and have no idea how to fix it, cause i guess that there is an interference of GS and the webserver.
Or why is it possible to have the folder incl. files still in GS with <1KB but being invisible via FTP FileZilla?

Attached i'm having screenshots of the contents for uploads-folder in GS-filemanager and the FTP.

I'd be glad if anybody could help me out with this cause i'm not able to work on my webpage anymore until it's fixed.
Thank you very much in advance, please let me know if you need any further informations.

Kind regards,
Shasaar

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

enable debug mode and files should show owner of the files.

sounds like your host changed the files owner and your ftp user is either not in the same group of the file permissions need to be changed again to include group read, you will have to use your control panel or another ftp user with admin rights.

This can also happen if you set permissions to inclusive, some hosts have tools and configs that lock stuff down if they are given 755+
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Hello Shawn,

thank you for your reply and the help according to the problem.
After changing to Debug mode, the filemanager shows the following messages:

Warning: fileperms(): stat failed for ../data/uploads/images/banner.jpg in (...)/upload.php on line 303 Warning: fileowner(): stat failed for ../data/uploads/images/banner.jpg in (...)/upload.php on line 305 [...]

The Perms is set to root/0, like you mentioned.
I've sent a message to the hoster already and asked them to set the permission back so that i can access the files again.
Haven't got a reply from the hoster yet but i hope things will be alright afterwards again.

According the filemanager, i still have some questions cause it's not working properly.
I created a new directory within uploads directory via Responsive File Manager. The directory is created, Perm is 766.
Uploaded a picture in the new directory, upload was alright, i can see the small preview picture, Perm was set automatically to 755 for the picture.
However, if i close the file manager now and open it again, the file is there, but no preview available, no thumbnail available, the filemanager can't open the file it uploaded 20 secs ago, the message is: "The requested content cannot be loaded. Please try again later."
The webpage itself has the following error on top now, when opening it: "Notice: Undefined index: id in (...)/plugins/responsivefilemanager.php on line 40".
What am i doing wrong here? That caused me to work with the FTP besides instead of doing uploads with the manager, but i'd prefer to work with GS mainly, without the FTP access besides.
I also have to admit, that the standard filemanager of GS doesn't work due to the lack of Flash-support. So the RFM is the only way to manage files for me in GS. Will the usual filemanager be none-flash one day?

In the "Website Health Check" of GS, everything is green, besides my version being 3.3.12.
Thanks again.

Cheers.
Shasaar
Just turn off uploadify in gsconfig...

Not sure why it is not falling back automaticaly
(2016-12-26, 05:50:43)shawn_a Wrote: Just turn off uploadify in gsconfig...

Works like a charm, thank you a lot, now i don't need the RFM anymore, i'm always glad if i can work with the core GS instead of plugins.

The hoster changed the permissions of the folder again and i am able to work on it again, thank you for that info also.
The hoster said that i withdrew the permissions on that folder for myself and anybody else, but how can this be if it is set to 640?

Uploaded a picture with the GS upload and this time, it sets permission to 644.
I'm totally confused now about the permissions.
Is there a list that shows exactly, what permissions should be set for folders and files working with GS, especially upload folder?

I'm asking cause right now, there are so many different permissions:
example thumb folder (755), subdirectories thumb (766), htaccess and index (755), a few thumbfiles (640 - can't see them in GS-preview), some other thumbfiles (755 - can see them in GS-preview)
example uploads folder (770), subdirectories uploads (770), htaccess and index (770), new uploaded files (644), previous uploaded files (640)
example posts folder - news plugin (750), htaccess (640), news-files (755)

I'm totally lost Big Grin.

Cheers and thank you in advance.
Shasaar
You should read a tutorial on unix permissions.
These are typical settings but can vary depending on host enviroments, so it is specific to your situation so it would help to know a bit about it.
Hello Shawn,

Yes, i already tried to get into it but i always get confused about it.
I've changed the permissions now according to what GS does when it creates a folder, uploads a file and so on.
Subfolders are now 750, Files are 640 or 644.
Works good so far.

Cheers.
Shasaar