Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
proper use and license of getsimple cms
I've been testing GetSimple. and I really like how it works. but I have some doubts about the proper use and licensing of the cms, I read that uses the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE.
but I know very little about each particular license.

my questions are:
1 .- Can I use GetSimple cms to create sites for my clients and collect money for my services?

2 .- I want keep the GetSimple credit link, but if I create a theme based on the original html + css theme code (Default_Simple) must also include the credit of the original creator of the theme?

3 .- If I use GetSimple cms for my projects can I include in the footer my credits?

I know these questions sound like a newbie questions, but I do not want to break any rules.

please excuse my English but it is not my native language

thanks for GetSimple.
Please note that, although I’m answering, I’m far from a licensing expert neither am I a trained lawyer. Also, as it’s pretty late I don’t want to read trough the complete licence. These answers might be wrong and I will probably revise them tomorrow after having taken a good look at the licence.

Do not take any of these answers as legal advice, I’m not planning on taking responsibility for anything here.

homero_chapa Wrote:Can I use GetSimple CMS to create websites for my clients and collect money for my services?
Yes. Though I think you will need to supply them with a copy of the GPL when you provide them with a copy of GetSimple as all copies (even if you have done some editing to the core) need a copy of the licence and are covered by the same GPL as the original distribution.

homero_chapa Wrote:I want keep the GetSimple credit link, but if I create a theme based on the original html + css theme code (Default_Simple) must also include the credit of the original creator of the theme?
This is more a problem of web development rather than the licence. Default_Simple is bundled with GetSimple and is therefore covered by the same GPL licence that allows you to modify it. As long as you credit Chris somewhere it should be OK to edit the theme as much as you like. This credit doesn’t have to be visible to someone visiting the website, it just has to exist within the source of the files. (Possibly even a PHP comment that doesn’t sent to any visitor of the site.)

However, if your theme is based on it only as much as copying some basic HTML/CSS snippets this is probably covered under fair use and is always allowed. This happens all the time on the web when people are learning CSS tricks from other people and I hardly ever see credit given within CSS files.

homero_chapa Wrote:If I use GetSimple cms for my projects can I include in the footer my credits?
You are allowed by the GPL to add anything anywhere to the source of the project. This means even if you use Default_Simple you can add your name in the footer. GPL might even allow you to swap Chris’ name for your own, but this would be very rude.

homero_chapa Wrote:Please excuse my English but it is not my native language.
No problem, I hope my answers made sense. If you have any problem understanding just ask. There are a lot of people answering topics here that do not speak English as their first language.
“Don’t forget the important ˚ (not °) on the a,” says the Unicode lover.
Help us test a key change for the core! ¶ Problems with GetSimple? Be sure to enable debug mode!