Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED Parse error in admin/inc/common.php
I've been unable to view pages on my site recently.

There have been no recent changes to the site.

The error reported on the webpage is:

Code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '&', expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in ../admin/inc/common.php on line 69

I tried upgrading to 3.3.13 but there was no change.

Appreciate any help you can give.
I seem to have solved the problem, though not sure why the hosts settings would have changed from earlier when the site was running fine

What I found:

1.) The webpage is located in its own directory, but that had indexing turned off, -- I turned that on.

2.) There was also a choice for php 5 or 4.x, and it was at 4.x, so I switched it to 5 (sub version not indicated).

3.) Yesterday I had updated the /admin/ directory to 3.3.13 (was 3.3.3), but since I was unsure of the php version used on the host (5.x) I decided to revert to 3.3.3. So I uploaded /admin/ again.

4.) This time when I went to /admin in the web browser, I was greeted with some error messages, but also the login screen. Login password did not work, but I was able to access the lost password function, and did get an email allowing it to be changed online. After closing and reopening the site all was well.

I'm still a little concerned about using such an old version of GetSimple. Is there a somewhat later version that will work with php 5.0 (rather than 5.2 since I'm not sure of the sub version on this host)?

Thanks for any help.....
The health check page should show the exact version of php..

And more than likely it is 5.2, there were major bugs in previous php versions.

Also that is not the instructions on updating GS. Please reread them.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2017-07-17, 00:52:14)shawn_a Wrote: The health check page should show the exact version of php..

And more than likely it is 5.2, there were major bugs in previous php versions.

Also that is not the instructions on updating GS. Please reread them.

Thanks Shawn, I subsequently did notice that the php version was in the health check, page, it was 5.2xx and I did do a full upgrade after that to the latest version.

re.earlier upgrade method:

the following upgrade instructions are in the the get-simple wikki (which I read through before the earlier upgrade)
http://get-simple.info/wiki/installation:upgrade

Quote:If you don't want to overwrite everything because for instance you have customised or edited your old files or themes then the minimum you need to upload is the folder
Code:
/admin/
and the file
Code:
index.php
your first post said admin directory, just making sure you copy everything, its a common mistake , if you have not modified core files you overwrite everything

If you have ( for example customized innovation without copying first ) you can overwrite admin and index.php only and it should suffice.
(2017-07-18, 00:04:10)shawn_a Wrote: your first post said admin directory, just making sure you copy everything, its a common mistake , if you have not modified core files you overwrite everything

If you have ( for example customized innovation without copying first ) you can overwrite admin and index.php only and it should suffice.

Thanks Shawn, in the last upgrade to the latest version, I overwrote everything. I was being cautious the first time. All is well now, and the health check is perfect. Thanks for your time and attention!
(2017-07-18, 00:12:29)vtsimple Wrote:
(2017-07-18, 00:04:10)shawn_a Wrote: your first post said admin directory, just making sure you copy everything, its a common mistake , if you have not modified core files you overwrite everything

Thanks Shawn, in the last upgrade to the latest version, I overwrote everything. I was being cautious the first time. All is well now, and the health check is perfect. Thanks for your time and attention!

I don't know if this is helpful to you as developer, but just including it as a addendum/thought....

I'm wondering if my original syntax error problem was the result of including in my password the characters "&" and "$" ?

I did change that after the problems arose, just in case it was not allowed, but forgot to mention it. I don't know if there are any illegal password characters.

Again, as I said everything is working well now -- just adding this as full information, if useful.
its worth testing