Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Frame
Hi all! Hoping you can help with my issue here.

I'm looking to create a section of my page where I have it split into two sections. The large section would be a totally different website (I own it), and then a top frame that would have a link to take the user back to the homepage of the original website, so this way they actually never leave my page.

I tried using frames, but I could not get them to work. And yes, I know frames are a thing of the past, just don't know what to use as a replacement.

Help! And Thanks!

Jon
If I'm not mistaken you want to have something like a permanent bar or button (generally a page section) on your page, to take the user back to a main page not hacing that bar/button/section ?

You can make two template files. First one assigned to all pages by default, which contains the section you want. And a template with the section, which will be assigned to main page (default index).

You might also use custom fields plugin with default content (section with link), and just clean field's content on main page. You'd have to use a php statement in template file and show field's content when it isn't empty.

It's hard to recognize what exactly you want to achieve. Provide an example page, and we'll come up with the easiest solution.
Addons: blue business theme, Online Visitors, Notepad
afaik, iframe is the only way to load another domain on the same page. There is alot of security restrictions on this in modern browsers for xss reasons.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
Here's what I'm currently doing (using an iframe)

http://vaporcone.com/index.php?id=login
(2013-05-22, 02:23:50)jongoodhue Wrote: I'm looking to create a section of my page where I have it split into two sections. The large section would be a totally different website (I own it), and then a top frame that would have a link to take the user back to the homepage of the original website, so this way they actually never leave my page.

I tried using frames, but I could not get them to work. And yes, I know frames are a thing of the past, just don't know what to use as a replacement.

1. if you can change the other site:
    • call it with a special URL parameter
    • change the site to add a button/area to return to the original page, if this parameter is set. Additionally send back a cookie to know to do this for further requests, too
  2. or proxy the other site through a script on your server and add the desired button/area. However, in the proxy code you will also have to rewrite all the links on the pages
I18N, I18N Search, I18N Gallery, I18N Special Pages - essential plugins for multi-language sites.