Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
! Need a Compass Please
Hi GS freaks in there,

Just jumping aboard GS for a couple of hours.

I guess that, by essence, GS aims for simplicity.
Nevertheless i found quite a cauldron of plugins,
some still on the fire while others already frozen.

I need a compass pls-

Coming from the World of the Press

And now I found I18N Special Pages +
dozens of "Good Looking" plugins

it reminds me the World of the Press
with its zillions of everything-you-need-to-
quickly-pull-down-any-decent-server

Well...Back to this simple world:

Is that a good idea to start to supercharge GS?!!!

How much load can the GS engine 'take'?

As I have no idea how GS works, expecting the fact
it loads & parse plain-text XML files, (i'm used to heavy-
DBs, lighty-SQLite, JiG and others JSON stores)

Just a question for you, GM magicians in there,
to make sure my compass is well aligned

Thanks for reading and for your precious time

Best Regards
Emmanuel
You are better off figuring out what you need to do first.
Also check out carlos lists of most popular plugins.

Ideally you do not need to load up on plugins unless you want to specifically enhance stuff.

Of course there are some main cant live without ones, you will discover reading forums.
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix
(2014-01-16, 04:51:07)shawn_a Wrote: You are better off figuring out what you need to do first.
Also check out carlos lists of most popular plugins.

Ideally you do not need to load up on plugins unless you want to specifically enhance stuff.

Of course there are some main cant live without ones, you will discover reading forums.

Just found/read GetSimple's Mission Statement

we can read

Quote:The market I intend to cater to is the small 1 to 15 page brochure site for the average small business owner.

Do i have to conclude GS is for 15 pages website?

I mean technically, 1 page generates 1 XML file (not sure when I18N is in use)

so any server can easily handle hundreds of files in a folder

So, no worries then Angel
(2014-01-16, 04:51:07)shawn_a Wrote: You are better off figuring out what you need to do first.

simple 25-50 pages 'static' website for small business.

But above all, freedom. freedom of adding any code snippet to embed a slideshare something, to add a pricing table without having to rely on a plugin, aso...

Being a developer, I [feel the ]need to "keep control" and be able to adjust that tiny trailing comma,)

(2014-01-16, 04:51:07)shawn_a Wrote: Also check out carlos lists of most popular plugins.

thanks for this pointer

(2014-01-16, 04:51:07)shawn_a Wrote: Ideally you do not need to load up on plugins unless you want to specifically enhance stuff.

For what i've seen, GS is clever enough to don't load assets not required. (at least with I18N_Gallery).

Well, thanks for your bootstrapping help

Best,
Emmanuel
(2014-01-16, 05:19:15)emanwebdev Wrote: Just found/read GetSimple's Mission Statement

we can read

Quote:The market I intend to cater to is the small 1 to 15 page brochure site for the average small business owner.

Do i have to conclude GS is for 15 pages website?

You are not the first person to be confused by that statement. I have heard of people who think that GS will only handle a max of 15 pages.

I am drafting a new Mission Statement but haven't yet completed it. thanks for the reminder Confused

And yes, navigating the swamp of plugins is a problem. There is a wiki page titled 'plugins guide' with some information. We need some good demos and hand holding walk through guides in my opinion. I find mvlcek's pages at http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/ very good for his plugins.
(2014-01-16, 19:28:14)Timbow Wrote: And yes, navigating the swamp of plugins is a problem. There is a wiki page titled 'plugins guide' with some information. We need some good demos and hand holding walk through guides in my opinion. I find mvlcek's pages at http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/ very good for his plugins.

You give me an idea:

you should decline/suggest GS in 2 or 3 different bundles

including with each a set of relevant plugins
(2014-01-16, 19:28:14)Timbow Wrote: There is a wiki page titled 'plugins guide' with some information.

Thanks! (i skipped it so far) well, i edited it to add that missing nanoGallery plugin, thought it really worths it (for the moderator of the wiki Wink)

(2014-01-16, 19:28:14)Timbow Wrote: I find mvlcek's pages at http://mvlcek.bplaced.net/ very good for his plugins.

agree! Tip Top! (currently finishing the translation of I18N Search and I think i'll have a bundle ready for production. Btw, made a couple of 'improvements' in the admin part. Who is in charge of it? Who is/are the author/s of this very interesting CMS btw???
plugin bundles are discussed here
https://github.com/GetSimpleCMS/GetSimpleCMS/issues/583
NEW: SA Admin Toolbar Plugin | View All My Plugins
- Shawn A aka Tablatronix